Two Part Question about outdoor lighting

Old 06-12-06, 06:39 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Two Part Question about outdoor lighting

First question:
I only have one light fixture on the back of my house. (the house is all brick construction) The light is located on the far east side of the wall and is mounted to a metal box that is within the bricks. This light has it's on/off switch inside the house, next to the rear door that exits into the yard.

I want to install another light on the west side of the wall that will be turned on with the same switch as the existing light.
Can I run PVC conduit (with Romex) under the overhang from the existing light to a metal box on the other end of the house which will be surface mounted to the bricks? Then the light will be mounted onto that box. If at all possible, I want to stay away from busting a hole in the brick and fishing the Romex through the attic.

Second Question:
I have one of those spiral compact flourecent light bulbs on my front porch and I want to install an "On at Dusk/Off at Daylight" adaptor between the bulb and the fixture. The packaging on the adaptor reads "Only for Incandecent Bulbs." WHY?????
Thanks,
Phil

Old 06-12-06, 07:17 PM
R
1. Yes. Use schedule 80 PVC conduit. You will need to mount an extension on to the existing box that will bring it out from the bricks. Run three individual conductors in the conduit (black, white and green) and make them either 12 gage or 14 gage, depending if the the circuit is 20 amp or 14 amp.

2. In order to operate the sensor needs electricity. It runs a small amount of current all the time, through the bulb. An incandescent bulb is required so that the current will flow without damaging the bulb or risking a fire.

Old 06-13-06, 04:00 AM
P
Originally Posted by racraft
1. Yes. Use schedule 80 PVC conduit. You will need to mount an extension on to the existing box that will bring it out from the bricks. Run three individual conductors in the conduit (black, white and green) and make them either 12 gage or 14 gage, depending if the the circuit is 20 amp or 14 amp.

2. In order to operate the sensor needs electricity. It runs a small amount of current all the time, through the bulb. An incandescent bulb is required so that the current will flow without damaging the bulb or risking a fire.
racraft
Thanks for the quick response.
So, no romex inside the PVC conduit, correct?

Phil

Old 06-13-06, 01:27 PM
R
Romex is a name brans and means nothing.

You cannot NM cable outside.

You can use UF cable outside, but most people frown on using it inside conduit, unless the conduit is for protection.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: