GFI's and Arc Protection

Old 06-13-06, 10:08 AM
GFI's and Arc Protection

I am wiring a new addition to my home, which includes 4 bedrooms. I decided to put an outside outlet under every window, including bedrooms and other rooms. Since I decided this late in the wiring, I have started to accomplish this by putting a GFI outlet under each window, but connected to the circuit I hace already have run to the various rooms. Since the bedrooms need to have Arc protection circuit breakers, I now wonder if is is permisable to put a GFI outlet (with no other load onthat oultet) on an arc-protected circuit? Please help. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-06, 12:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If these receptacles are on the exterior of the house there is no requirement for the AFCI protection.

Old 06-13-06, 07:54 PM
If they come off the bedroom circuits, they will be AFCI protected. You can also protect the outside outlet with a GFCI and should have no problems.

Old 06-13-06, 11:16 PM
You can put a GFCI receptacle on the AFCI circuit, no problem. Now, SOMETIMES, when resetting the GFCI (you know, like after you test it every month... ) it can trip the AFCI breaker. I've seen circuits that do it rarely, and some that do it everytime.