Recepticals, Kitchen island

Old 06-13-06, 10:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Recepticals, Kitchen island

This island is 9 FT. long.
Realizing I need a rec. on each end, This is not feasable.
Due to the fact, inside drawers are 1.5" from paneling on one end and the other has shelves.

9' centerline- to one half (call it right side) is the cook top and counter space (Cook top in the middle).(left side) behind the cook top, there is a 9" rise, That now turns into the "breakfast bar".

(This will be a 1.5" thick marble counter top) I have placed my rec.(2) On the rise/back splash, facing the cook top, on either end of the island.
Does anyone see a reason why this would not meet requirements?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 01:17 PM
Place a toaster next to the stovetop. If you can plug in that toaster direct, you will be fine, IMO.

Old 06-14-06, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by classicsat
Place a toaster next to the stovetop. If you can plug in that toaster direct, you will be fine, IMO.
Can you site a code reference for me please. Especially the part where this applies to islands.

Old 06-14-06, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
Realizing I need a rec. on each end, This is not feasable. ........ I have placed my rec.(2) ......... on either end of the island.
Congratulations... you did the not feasable.

What was your question?

Old 06-14-06, 03:15 PM
There are shallow switch and outlet boxes available for limited depth situations. Check with local building codes for placement in island because codes tend to vary from area to area.

Old 06-14-06, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
Realizing I need a rec. on each end, This is not feasable.
Due to the fact, inside drawers are 1.5" from paneling on one end and the other has shelves.

9' centerline- to one half (call it right side) is the cook top and counter space (Cook top in the middle).(left side) behind the cook top, there is a 9" rise, That now turns into the "breakfast bar".

(This will be a 1.5" thick marble counter top) I have placed my rec.(2) On the rise/back splash, facing the cook top, on either end of the island.
Does anyone see a reason why this would not meet requirements?

Thanks.
Where you are or have palced the outlets in that backsplash, as you call it, is the place for it anyway. Right? I had a kitchen with a set up like that. You want outlets there for what you might use on the lower or upper countertops.

How high off the lower counter top do the bottom of the outlet boxes come?

Old 06-14-06, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by jwhite
Congratulations... you did the not feasable.

What was your question?
????? I feel like the AFLAC duck....

Islands must have an outlet. Islands over six feet must have 2 (1 each end) thats my understanding of it.
This island has no water in it (not that it matters), and these rec. will be small appliance ckts (GFCI) the cook top side is standard counter height and the breakfast bar side is aprox. 9-10 inches higher,so on that rise (on the cook top side I placed my sa rec) I don't see a problem with this and I cant find the inspector (part time, small town). so I thought I would throw it out here.

The top is marble... one shot.

Old 06-15-06, 02:15 AM
This is fine. The recs do not have to be in the ends of the top. Having them in the backsplash section is fine.