(electricial) shocking

Old 06-13-06, 11:06 PM
(electricial) shocking

I just bought a older rv that I use as a fishing camp. The people I got the rv off of said they put a new hot water heater into it. Now every time I do dishes or my hands are wet I get a small shock from the faucets. Could this be a result of the heater not being grounded properly or am I having bigger problems. Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-06, 11:48 AM
i would check all the grounds you can but start with the tank

Old 06-15-06, 09:35 PM
Thanks for replying. I am going up over the weekend and I picked up a copper ground bar and copper ground wire I'm going to just try and ground the whole trailer. Will let you know on Monday if that works.

Old 06-16-06, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Or you could kill the power to the water heater and see if you get the same result.

Old 06-30-06, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by fishermen23340
Thanks for replying. I am going up over the weekend and I picked up a copper ground bar and copper ground wire I'm going to just try and ground the whole trailer. Will let you know on Monday if that works.
If you are powering the trailer with an ungrounded generator, this won't do a thing. Very few people drive a ground rod before using their generator.

It only MIGHT help when connected to shore power, which is almost certainly grounded to the limits of the earth's conductivity in that area.

Electricity leaking to faucets and other equipment is not exactly an inconvenience. This is life threatening. You should have called an electrician immediately.

I would also recommend moving this thread to the electrical as that is where the expertise to solve this will be.