cost to go to 200amp from 100amp excluding panel

Old 06-15-06, 04:52 AM
cost to go to 200amp from 100amp excluding panel

i have a main disconnect on the outside of my house. My father in law is coming over this weekend so we can put a 200amp box in my basement to make room for some new 240 (hot tub stove dryer) breakers. i believe i currently have 100amp service but that is still in question. I have 2 100amp panels in the house
1 is downstairs and 1 is in the garage. on the outside of the house i have a box with a wide breaker in it that has 2 levers for shutoff on it and both say 100. My uncle says it has 200amps my FIL says 100. Its a foreclosed house so im SOL on asking the previous owner. the panel in the garage has a bunch of double pole breakers in it with only 1 side of the pole being used. is it possible to run the main power fro mthe outside box to 2 separate boxes? or does the main line always have to go to the main box and then through it to subpanel
i ask because if the main line can be split to 2 boxes say 100amp to 1 100am to another then that is whath as happened here
otherwise i need to start flipping breakers until second panel is off to figure out how that is done.

anyway back to the question saying i have 100 amp but i put the new 200amp panel in downstairs on my own. how much to have the 200amp service done for the main line into the house?

my meter says cl200 240v

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-06, 05:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have a 100 amp service. Since your main disconnect is outside the panels inside are treated as sub-panels and should be feed with a 4 wire feed.

You best bet is to get 3 estimates from local licensed contractors. Compare the materials used and make sure permits are included if they are required in your area.