sprinkler problem

Old 06-15-06, 03:18 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sprinkler problem

I have a four zone system on a timer and only one zone is turning on. what should i look for to test this system. Timmer control? or solinoed valves ? sorry bout that spelling

Old 06-16-06, 05:15 PM
V
Vey
If someone dug a hole and cut the wires this could happen. If you go to the second zone's solenoid, you should see 24 volts AC when the timer says it is on. If you don't see it, then either the timer is bad or the wires got cut.

There is a common wire that will go to all of them, and each solendois gets one of it's own wires. If the common got cut, then anything after it in the series will not work.

Old 06-20-06, 02:53 PM
J
How about move the wires from the the working valve to a valve that is not. You could also do the same thing (possibly easier) at the timer. If you move the wire from one station to the other at the timer and it makes that valve work the issue is in the timer not the wiring or the valve. At that point make sure you are running the timer correctly and it is not a user error.

Good Luck

Old 06-20-06, 10:41 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you tried the manual operation of each valve at the (out door sprinkler box) box?
No need for electricity for this, The valve itself could be clogged.
Don't make things harder than you must. We ALL over look the obviouse, time and time again.

Old 06-25-06, 10:12 AM
A
Sprinker Zone Problem

Hi,
I've a 5 zone sprinkler sytem, except one all other zones are working good. The manaul operation on the broken zone is working good. But the automatic timer for that zone is not working

What should I do to fix it?

Thanks

Appu

Old 06-25-06, 11:14 AM
L
Originally Posted by apoorvanand
Hi,
I've a 5 zone sprinkler sytem, except one all other zones are working good. The manaul operation on the broken zone is working good. But the automatic timer for that zone is not working

What should I do to fix it?

Thanks

Appu
This could be indicative of a bad solonoid. As suggested before, move these wires to a known good out put (zone) and try that.

Old 06-25-06, 07:51 PM
S
Since the bad zone works manually, it is an electrical problem. The problem is either with the timer, wiring to the solenoid, connections, or the solenoid.

First isolate the problem. As stated by John Dillinger, move the wires from a known good zone to the terminals of the bad zone. First mark the wires so they do not get mixed up and you can move them back. If the bad zone now works, the problem is with the timer. If the bad zone still doesn't work, the problem is with the wiring to the solenoid or the solenoid. Use the steps below depending on what results you get from this step.

Timer Troubleshooting: Reset the timer to default specs by unplugging it from the AC outlet AND removing the backup battery AND any other power sources going into it. Leave it totally dead for about 10 minutes or longer. This will let you start from scratch with the programming and remove any bad settings in memory. While power is off, reseat all the connections under the screws. IE Retighten all the screws. They do creep loose. Turn power on and check for voltage at the zone terminals. Still no voltage at the zone terminels means a bad timer. Voltage means good timer and continue troubleshooting the wiring and solenoid.

Wiring and Solenoid Troubleshooting: Go to the solenoid and look for "wire nuts" on the wiring. They may have worked loose or become corroded if the waterproof sealant is no longer there. Clean and remake the wirenut connections and try the zone again. If still no voltage, disconnect the wiring at the wire nuts, turn on the zone, and measure for voltage coming from the timer where the wires meet the solenoid. If there is no voltage, repair/replace the wire. If the voltage is there, replace the solenoid.

Old 07-02-06, 11:57 AM
A
Sprinkler Bad Zone

Hello,
Thanks to all you responding to my post.
Originally I've following setup Z1-T1 Z2-T2 and Z3-T3 (zone 3 was the bad one)

I changed the Solenoid from Zone 3 (bad one) to Zone 2 (good one) and tested. Now when I turn on T3 Z2 becomes active. When I turned on T2 Z3 is not working.

Also one more thing I found, In Zone3 when I start the timer nothing works. When I turn on the timer and also the valve manually, the zone 3 works and it closes itself as per the timer's time setting.

Does above two indicates anything?

Again thanks for the help

-Appu

Old 07-02-06, 02:13 PM
L
Definate control panel issue. If you have a spare zone in this unit move faulty T3-Z3 to it and program as zone 3 was, set z3 to 0. and you should be alset.

Good luck.

Old 07-04-06, 04:47 PM
A
Hi,
I tried to change the Z3 to T1 in the control panel and turned on the Timer switch T1, same issue for Z3. When I connected back the T1 to Z1, zone1 works good. So not sure if it is a control panel issue.

One more information, if I turn on T3 I can able to hear the water izzing sound in Z3 Solenoid, but the sprinkler head is not poping up automatically. If I turn off T3 then the water izzing sound disappears in Z3 Solenoid.

Again thanks for responding to my post

-Appu

Old 04-06-09, 07:41 AM
P
Hi I have a similar problem. I have a 4 zone system and the 4th zone is not starting. I started it manually but that isn't working as well. I just bought this house and this is my first house and I am new to this system Can someone help with this situation

Old 04-06-09, 08:52 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
pmathur, have you tried all the other suggestions in this thread (e.g., move the wires from a working valve, test the wires for voltage, put on a new solenoid)? What happened when you did those?

Old 09-06-09, 09:39 AM
J
What else can be wrong?

Hi:

I've done all the troubleshooting and I can confirm that my solenoid is working (observed it clicking on off with my wife at the sprinkler control) and water is flowing because I can turn on the zone manually at the valve. Any other suggestions? It seems like water is not getting to the diaphragm to open the valve. Any idea what can cause this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: