Kitchen GFI

Old 06-16-06, 11:37 AM
Question Kitchen GFI

I bought a house 6 months ago. My kitchen had no GFI reset button. Last month, I had an Electrician install the GFI stuff. Now, everytime I plug in my indoor grill, the GFI "pops". Does that mean this WAS a problem before? I have a microwave & TV plugged into 2 of the outlets that share the GFI (none was on, ONLY the grill). Does this mean I need to put the grill on a separate GFI? Thanks/Jina

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-06, 11:56 AM
Was a GFCI circuit breaker installed, or a GFCI receptacle?

It's possible that your indoor grill is faulty. I had an electric frying pan go bad.

Try testing your indoor grill at another GFCI in the house. Perhaps a bathroom or outdoor receptacle. If the GFCI trips, I would suspect the grill. Have it tested and, if necessary, repaired, or replace it.

Old 06-16-06, 12:13 PM
kithcen GFI

It was only a receptacle that was installed. It covers 3 double outlets. The grill works fine in the bathroom GFI. Thanks/Jina

Old 06-16-06, 12:19 PM
I suspect an improperly wired GFCI, or a GFCI installed inappropriately on a multi wire circuit.

More information is needed.

Is the circuit breaker protecting this circuit a 240 volt breaker?

Does the grill work when plugged directly into the GFCI receptacle and only trip it when pugged into one of the other receptacles? Does anything else work in the same receptacle that the grill trips the GFCI?

Old 06-16-06, 12:26 PM
Kitchen gfi

I plugged the grill directly into the GFI & it did NOT pop the button. I even turned on the TV & no problem. What does this mean? If it was done incorrectly, then I obviously want to call back the same Elec & have him repair his mistake, right? Thanks/Jina

Old 06-16-06, 12:35 PM
Yes, get the electrician back. Have him fix it. Make sure that it works in EACH and every receptacle in the kitchen before he leaves.

If he can't get it right then he isn't an electrician.

Old 06-16-06, 12:46 PM
Kitchen gfi

Thank you VERY much! Jina