Lawn Sprinkler Inop

Old 06-17-06, 01:10 PM
Lawn Sprinkler Inop

I just replaced the transformer on my lawn sprinkler system. Have power going to the control panel (light flashing) but can't get the sprinlers to go on. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-06, 01:13 PM
Lawn sprinkler electrical problem

I just replaced the transformer on my lawn sprinkler system. Have power going to the control panel (light flashing) but can't get the sprinlers to go on. Any advice?

Old 06-17-06, 01:46 PM
ISC
Originally Posted by BBQBill
Hey Bill,

What kind of control panel do you have? Where was the trans located? ie, before control panel or after. Have you checked the voltages ( per manufacturers instructions) at the control panel to the sprinkler solenoild/control valves? You should have a determined low voltage at the solenoid, and it is possible that the solenoid is either jammed or broken. There could be a number of situations for troubleshooting, oh make sure the water is on..

Old 06-17-06, 01:47 PM
Group Moderator
Your sure it is the right transformer, an OEM replacement? Did you mark all connections before removing the old one and go back exactly the same? Any fuses on the panel?

Why did you need to replace it? If there was a power surge (lightning etc.) that killed the last one it may have fried a circuit board in the panel.

Was it killed by a fault in the panel? Look for scorch marks or deformed (partly melted) insulation on wires. Is there output voltage to the sprinkler valves? Is there voltage at the Valves?

Old 06-17-06, 02:07 PM
answers

yes, the water is on.

the old transformer dropped of the control panel and the wires snapped right at the base of the transformer. It was one of those totally sealed up transformer. I called the manufacturer and they gane me the exact replacement part which I was able to obtain locally ($15). Regrettably, there was no positive/negative signs on the transformer so, I brought it up to radio shack. The guy there tested it and said it is throwing volts equally out of post.

The only thing I can think of is I somehow put the positive wire on the wrong post on the control panel but I remember the wire with the white line on it tied to the left screw. I gotta figure that part is right cuz the led light on the control panel lights up.
What would happen if I switched connections?

Old 06-17-06, 02:11 PM
If it is just a transformer it does not have pos or neg. Of course you must get input side and output side right. If it is a power cube, with rectifiers inside, then polarity of the wires does matter. Is there a label on the item?

ALso, most sprinkler controllers have a fuse in the output line to the solenoids. The time can seem to be working, but none of the valve turn on. Check the fuse,

Old 06-17-06, 02:25 PM
transformer

There is label or anything on the new transformer that indicates that the screws are positive or negative. The unit is about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Yes there is a fuse and I will check that.

Old 06-17-06, 02:55 PM
still nothing

I checked the fuse and it appears to be OK (one thin metal strand inside a glass tube). In fact, I took the fuse out, plugged in the transformer and the clock led did not work.

I'm beginning to think I have the wires crossed. The sprinlers worked fine wearleir this spring but have not used them in 2 months as we had so much rain. No it's dry as heck here in Michigan and my lawn is toasty brown.

Old 06-17-06, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
You found the fuse to the timer but is there a fuse for the output to the valves? Not an expert on this but if you can post pictures of the transformer and control panel to a site such as imageshack.us someone may be able to give more help. Also the name of the controller manufacturer and model number might help.

The guy there tested it and said it is throwing volts equally out of post.
Which only proves he doesn't have a clue. They are salesman not techs. If it is an AC out put and you test with the DC setting on an analog multi-tester the needle will usually fluctuate indicating probably AC output .

Old 06-17-06, 06:18 PM
nap
If you have an LED in the system, you also should have a rectifier setup to convert the ac to dc voltage. If this is further into the system and not an integral part of the x-former, the x-former polarity would make no difference (as 594tough posted earlier). Post the part number of the transformer, that may give a clue, maybe not.

Generally just a transformer (as posted earlier) does not have a positive and a negative. Depending on how the guy measured the voltage, he may very well have gotten the same, or similar voltages from each terminal. It would depend what was used as the reference for the voltage and how it was hooked up.

If you post the make and model of your control, info may be available to us via the internet as well. This would help those trying to help you.

Old 06-18-06, 07:41 AM
Info on equiptment

OK here's the stuff you asked for:

Transformer:
Amseco
Model 2420
120 vac
60hz
.023a
output 24vac 20 va

Programming Box (19 years old)

Hardie Irrigation
6 station
Serial # OE11

Has a reciever for 9 volt battery (don't what this is for but I change every year)

Old 06-18-06, 07:47 AM
Group Moderator
output 24vac 20 va
Which means it is a AC transformer and polarity isn't an issue. The battery is probably for the memory of the controller in a power failure. Have you tried replacing it just to eliminate it as a possible factor? While it is probably only backup it could be the only power source for the controller circuit board. Even a near-dead battery could power an LED but not have enough power for other functions.

Old 06-18-06, 08:00 AM
Battery

I replaced the battery just yesterday with a brand new one.

The unit will work without a battery in it.

Old 06-18-06, 09:14 AM
I Found The Problem!!!!

Yessireeebob..I found the problem..all by myself..didn't cause me much $$ either (new transformer which, I had to buy anyway).

Let me give ya some background.....You see..I have this son..he's real bright and goes to a real fancy college in Chicago where he gets straight A's. Gonna be a lawyer in a few years. Only cost the old man about $36,000 per year to send him there. Oh, did I mention he's real bright??

Well..I thought that, since everything else failed, I'd follow the wires from the controller box in the lawn, through the basement wall, back to the fuse box in the basement. Everything is OK outside. Goes into the basement OK. Let's go down in the basement and check there. Oh, did I mention that my son is real bright?

Well, boy wonder is home from college right now and last week asked me if he could set up his TV in the basement in order to watch the NBA playoff's on cable TV. The wifee watches sitcoms so, there a problem.

Following the wire from the outside wall toward the fusebox, I said, "golly that looks strange, that wire is just dangling there and has been cut". Seems in order to find the right wire to attach the cable TV splitter into, he cut the wire that seemd to go nowhere! The lawn sprikler power wire. Go figure. Oh, did I mention that my son is real bright?

Thank you for all your help anyways. Did I mention........

Last edited by BBQBill; 06-18-06 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-18-06, 09:39 AM
nap
Ya, real bright. Does he take after dad or mom???

Congrats

Old 06-18-06, 03:15 PM
Try the lawn forum & post your control mfgr. and model #.

Old 06-18-06, 04:47 PM
ISC
Thread-b-dead

Already posted and answered earlier..

Yesterday, 03:10 PM
BBQBill
Members Join Date: Jun 2006

Lawn Sprinkler Inop

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just replaced the transformer on my lawn sprinkler system. Have power going to the control panel (light flashing) but can't get the sprinlers to go on. Any advice

Old 06-19-06, 09:29 AM
what caused the original transformer to go? Could that have damaged the controller?