GE elec dryer runs but not heats

Old 06-18-06, 01:40 PM
GE elec dryer runs but not heats

GE DVL223EB4WW, 2 yr.

The gray wire, one of the wires connected to Start knob, has no electric.

Can anyone tell me what's the problem and how to fix it? Thank you very much!

Sharon

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-06, 02:22 PM
What do you mean, the dryer runs?

Is this an electric dryer or a gas dryer? If electric, have you verified 240 volts to the dryer?

Old 06-18-06, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by spd9966
GE DVL223EB4WW, 2 yr.

The gray wire, one of the wires connected to Start knob, has no electric.

Can anyone tell me what's the problem and how to fix it? Thank you very much!

Sharon
You mean it has electric in, but no electric out?..of the start switch itself? Tell us exactly what you have checked so far. Your post is very minimalistic. You have to remember to tell us all you can as we can't read minds. Just a friendly tip.

I just reread the OP thread title and now I am confused. How can it run (turn) if there is no power to the start "knob"? You must not realize how power goes through that switch. You can't test electric with a meter in series, if that is what you did. You MUST be having power at that "knob" if the dryer turns. And if it turns but there is no heat, what racraft said...to check for 240 is the first place to start. Check the recepticle itself, for starters. Then check the continuity of the heating element next.

Old 06-18-06, 05:53 PM
First check the two breakers.
Some dryers use a 120 volt motor with the 240 volt heater.
If one breaker trips the motor may still have the 120 volts to make the motor run, but not have the 240 for the heater.

Old 06-18-06, 06:10 PM
Thanks for replies.
It is electric dryer, only 2 years old(one year warranty expired)

Let me explained what happened. First it had no heat when it run at timer cycle, then I used More dry cycle and worked for a few times, after then there was no heat at all. It runs ok but just no heat.
I used electrical tester to test wires and found only one wire had no electric. I have little knowledge about appliance. Iím not sure what next I should test or check.
Sharon

Old 06-18-06, 06:39 PM
One half of the 240 volts feeding the dryer is out.

If you do not feel comfortable diagnosing this then call an electrician. You need to check the breaker, the receptacle, and the connections of the cord into the back of the dryer. Somewhere one of the hot wires is disconnected.

Old 06-19-06, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by spd9966
I used electrical tester to test wires and found only one wire had no electric.
Which wire? The ones in the plug or at the switch in the dryer. If there is only one hot wire (120V) in the plug then the problem is somewhere in the feed to the dryer. If you are talking about the switch, then please make sure that you have 240V at the plug.

If so, then the problem is in the dryer itself and could be a bad timer, switch, or heating element. The diagnosis of which can get complicated to describe over the internet.