Help with New Hot Tub Heater Wiring

Old 06-19-06, 06:49 AM
Question Help with New Hot Tub Heater Wiring

I helped a friend install a new 240 Vac heater for his hot tub. There is a 30 A GFI feeding a disconnect on the outside of the house. There are four wires in the box, blk, red, white and a bare grond coming from the main house panel. The white goes to a terminal on the GFI as do the blk and red. The bare goes to ground. It is NM cable in the house.
From the disconnect switch, 4 THHN wires go to the heater, blk, red, white and green. Here's the question:
In the heater, there is a red and black for the 240. There is also a ground lug connected to the heater chassis. I wired the red to red, black to black and connected the green to the chassis ground lug. Where does the white wire go? I tried connecting it to the chassis but the GFI tripped. I left the white disconnected and wire nutted and and wrapped with tape. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-06, 06:58 AM
It sounds like you did more than help your friend with his installation. Helping is one thing, doing the electrical work, especially when you don't fully understand what you are doing can be a very dangerous thing.

You answered your question. The heater is a 240 volt heater. 240 volt devices have no neutral. They do not need one.

I'm a little confused about your description, however. What type of cable runs from the GFCI disconnect to the heater itself? Are you sure that in the disconnect you have the wires properly connected as to LINE and LOAD?

Old 06-19-06, 07:06 AM
From the main panel to the house mounted disconnect is NM #10/3 with ground. Inside the disconnect there are line and load terminals. There is also a ground bar. The white is wire nutted to the white going to the heater.
From the disconnect switch to the heater, about 3 feet, is liquidtite. The liquidtite has the 4 THHN, red, black, white and green in it to the heater. My plan was that the white was not needed but on Sunday, I like to be sure I have everything that could be needed.

Old 06-19-06, 07:08 AM
You should first check the manual for the hot tub/heater, and then call the manufacturer of the hot tub, just to be on the safe side.

That being said, pretty much every hot tub heater element I have seen runs on straight 240V. This means that the white wire (aka neutral or grounded conductor) is not needed. Usually the neutral is needed to supply 120v to the controls or accessories availble for the hot tub.

Old 06-19-06, 07:34 AM
The red, black and white from the main panel should connect to the GFCI LINE terminals. The bare ground wires gets connected to the ground connection.

The red and black to the heater should connect to the GFCI LOAD terminals. The white wire can be left disconnected at the GFCI end (properly capped of course), or it can be connected to the GFCI LOAD terminal. The bare green wire gets connected to the ground connection.

At the heater connect the red, white and green wires appropriately, leaving the white wire capped and not connected.

Old 06-19-06, 08:36 AM
Your description is exactly how it is. Thanks for the help/advice. I guess it's time to start using the hot tub.
Mark