Motion activated switch - sensitivity

Old 06-20-06, 01:01 PM
Motion activated switch - sensitivity

Being tired of forgetting to turn off my garage lites (interior), I installed a Leviton PR-150 (adj. light and delay controls).

It claims to have a 20x20 sensing area but I can't stand any more than 6 feet away without it being "unresponsive" - goes off and stays off until I close the gap. 10 feet away I can do the Funky Chicken and nothing. 6 feet away - I move an arm and "ON".

ANyone have a more sensitive M/A switch to recommend?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-06, 02:28 PM
nap
Have you tried aiming the thing. Many sensors not only have a field of view usually spec'd out in a xxxº type (e.g 180º, 90º, etc.) listing, they also are limited in the height of their pattern as well. If it is an aimable sensor, try aiming it higher or lower.

Old 06-20-06, 05:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Nap, alot of the ones I have installed seem to shoot too low, so it isn't picking up on your arms, just your lower body movement. So as you move out it is hitting the ground in front of you instead of you. Adjust if possible, and experiment a little with it.

Old 06-20-06, 10:17 PM
Can you adjust the sensativity? If its IR (infrared) only and you are close to ambeant temp...... it could be unresponsive.... if it is both IR/and motion, sensativity again will come into play.

As with any of these electronic devices.... They are not as fast as the human brain. (they actualy take the time to absorb,calculate then respond to situations).

Old 06-20-06, 11:08 PM
http://www.leviton.com/pdfs/occsenso...R150-PR180.pdf

The FOV is 150* . Sorry - thought they all used the FOV in the "model number". The included description is:
"passive IR motion sensor ... operates by detecting motion (such as body heat) ..."

Anyway, the switch is mounted in the garage and is about chest high when I'm in the garage area.

Only sensitivity to be adjusted is for the ambient lite to override operation.

As far as aiming the sensor - this can be done with this type? I realize the ones that have a "detached" sensor, such as for outside floods, can be adjusted but a wall switch? Can I pop out the lens cover and tinker? Seems like it would get a bit mangled, trying to remove the cover?

Old 06-20-06, 11:40 PM
This device is mainly made for an office enviroment.
Where is the location of this switch in the garage?Also are you looking for it to operate as an "occupancy" sensor or when you drive in?

Again, as stated before. with the "PIR" they are based on heat.
Your body TEMP and the ambiant TEMP may be to close.

EXAMPLE: Here in Boston, My security light works great when its 10* out, When it's 85* as now it is, I must do the "funky chicken" (not pretty, I'm skinney, but have no rythem).

I beleive on your model there is a sensativity adjustment.
If not get one that has it.

Old 06-21-06, 12:56 AM
The garage door opener lite is good enough if I drive in. This replaced the standard ceiling lite switch by the entry door to the attached house as an "occupancy sensor".

I have a bad habit of in & out from the house, get distracted and forget to kill the lite. I was hoping to use it to stay on while I'm playing in the garage for a period of time and then be my brain when I leave mine somewhere else.

I'm starting to go with heat theory - being too warm in the garage to detect me properly.

It would be good in a bathroom and it works great in the garage, if I just run in & out for a tool or something, but it's not cool when I'm on the grinder and it 'forgets' I'm there .

Only user adjustments are for time-delay (until off) and for ambient lite conditions.

Of course, the other option is that all of this will make me more aware of leaving the lite on.... nah.

Old 06-21-06, 04:01 AM
United Airlines built a new catering operation in Chigaco for their 737 fleet, and installed "energy" efficient lighting, whereas when you entered a room the lights came on, and when the room was unoccupied they would go off. Well, they installed them in the bathroom as well. Not the smartest move. You go into a stall, and 30 seconds later, the lights go out. Energy efficient, yes, smart, welllllll.

Old 06-22-06, 07:44 PM
Chandler - that's too funny!

FWIW on my OP - I changed the Leviton unit for Cooper 6109. A 180* unit claiming 40' range. Same 2 adjustments - ambient light and 'no-motion' time.

They must do these range ratings under prime conditions in an attempt to generate the best numbers.

Anyway - this one is a bit more acceptable for my garage usage. It reacts almost to the full depth of my 'standard' size 2-car garage. well short of 40' but enough coverage for me not to get stranded.