110 VAC to 24VAC

Old 06-20-06, 09:02 PM
Exclamation 110 VAC to 24VAC

this could be a very stupid question but not knowing could have a very expensive side effect

i am a computer geek by trade and i am trying to make my way into installing security cameras - i ran into a problem today with a camera that comes with a 110 VAC to 12 VDC inverter (i think its inverter) if you were installing it indoors near a 110 VAC plug - this customer wanted it mounted outdoors no problem bought an outdoor housing and everything was cool until it came to power - the outdoor housing says it has inputs for 24 volts ac current which it converts to 12 volts dc inside the housing and sends to the camera here is the problem the camera is mounted to a lightpole so i figured i would just splice in to the junction for the lights and be good but then it occured to me that if the housing only wants 24 volts and i wire it to 110 and energize the breaker i could possibly fry an 1800 dollar camera which did not sit well with me - do i need something to kick down the 110 to 24? please help i need to get this guys camera up tomorrow i wish it was indoors right next to a wall plug i would have been done today =(

here is the product i am talking about if this helps anyone http://www.spytown.com/sonsncfdp8cs.html

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-06, 10:49 PM
honestly i am a computer guy but alot of the new secuity is moving to ip based cat 5 (or higher) networks so i figured i would catch the technology on the up all of the systems i have done to date have been POE or power over ethernet which runs power to the camera over the data wire - easy even for a computer guy but this camera required a ton more power since it was pan tilt zoom and POE was not an option as it only sends dc current not ac - sorry if it was a harsh response i guess i will need to staff an electrician to handle my newbie-ness - about how large are said step down transformers i am space limited at the top of a 60ft pole where 2 flood lights are currently installed with a junction box about 5 feet lower - am i looking at running all the way back to the breaker because i imagine the transformer is going to be larger than can fit in a 3x5 junction

thanks for your help

Old 06-21-06, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by electrical n00b
this could be a very stupid question but not knowing could have a very expensive side effect

it occured to me that if the housing only wants 24 volts and i wire it to 110 and energize the breaker i could possibly fry an 1800 dollar camera which did not sit well with me - do i need something to kick down the 110 to 24?
I did not look at the link, its late.
I would say Yes you need something to kick it down.
If it dosen't say 110 to 24 volts input. Do NOT wire it up to 110 volts.

Old 06-21-06, 03:05 AM
nap
Additional concern:

If this customer has 60 foot light poles, it is a pretty big area he is lighting. Many electrical systems in commercial and/or industrial areas use 277 volts for site lighting.

Old 06-21-06, 06:31 AM
Originally Posted by nap
Additional concern:

If this customer has 60 foot light poles, it is a pretty big area he is lighting. Many electrical systems in commercial and/or industrial areas use 277 volts for site lighting.
understood, thanks for that heads up i will confirm with the client and after sleeping on it i think i will call in a pro the 200$ to get it right is a far better option that popping the 1800 dollar camera and associated 400 dollar housing

in fact that makes so much more sense now that you mention that every device that was wired from the breaker running the lights was a welder or a 220 to plug a welder in to so at 110 the camera would have been a pretty light show at 220 it would have been a really big light show

Old 06-21-06, 08:08 AM
If you can get any job done on a 60' pole for $200, go for it!

Old 06-21-06, 08:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can just buy a transformer from an online electronics parts store.

Your looking for a transformer with a turn ratio of 4.5::1

to go from 110ac to 24ac

Just make sure you get one rated higher than the current draw of the camera.

If you think that is to complicated then don't ever mess the door bell in your house.

Old 06-21-06, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by scalar
You can just buy a transformer from an online electronics parts store.

Your looking for a transformer with a turn ratio of 4.5::1

to go from 110ac to 24ac

Just make sure you get one rated higher than the current draw of the camera.

If you think that is to complicated then don't ever mess the door bell in your house.
very informative thanks i understand the math there amazing how that works 110/4.5 = 24 and a couple decimals
i would not need and electrician to run up the pole just wire the 24 vac from the breaker (on the ground) and i will run it up the pole i think 200 would more than cover that

Old 06-21-06, 09:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What ever floats your boat.

It does sound a bit high tech to do to