All smoke detectors don't activate when one activate

Old 06-22-06, 11:57 AM
All smoke detectors don't activate when one activate

Hello

I need help. I am really not electical guy but can understand wiring and some installation. Recently, I had one electical guy added one smoke detector in basement while finishing my basement and now my inspection fails as all other smoke detector doesn't get activate when I test one. All somke detector works fine individually but looks like it's not linked. I called same guy who installed but he is not responding. Some one told me that you have to reset your smoke detector in order all to work together. Any idea how can I do this? Please HELP !!!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-06, 12:17 PM
All of the smoke detectors need to be feed from the same circuit. They also need a 3 conductor plus ground cable run between them. The detectors requred in your area have three leads on them. Hot, Neutral, Interconnect.

It sounds like the guy who did your wiring just tied the new smoke detector into the nearest circuit because it was much easier. It may be very difficult to get a wire from the upstairs smokes to where the new ones are located.

This is not an easy fix, but the only way to fix it is to run the wire from the basement smoke to the smoke upstairs.

Old 06-22-06, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by jwhite
All of the smoke detectors need to be feed from the same circuit. They also need a 3 conductor plus ground cable run between them. The detectors requred in your area have three leads on them. Hot, Neutral, Interconnect.

It sounds like the guy who did your wiring just tied the new smoke detector into the nearest circuit because it was much easier. It may be very difficult to get a wire from the upstairs smokes to where the new ones are located.

This is not an easy fix, but the only way to fix it is to run the wire from the basement smoke to the smoke upstairs.

Thanks for quick reply. If all wiring is ok then do you think any extra steps need to be done in order to work?

Old 06-22-06, 12:28 PM
I suspect that jwhite is correct in his suggestion that the new smoke detector is not connected to the others.

If the other smoke detectors are inter-connected, then you usually must connect a new on in. However, if the others are not interconnected (mine are not) then you usually are not required to interconnect a new one.

Another possibility is that the new smoke detector is not the same brand and/or model as the existing ones. Sometimes it is necessary for all the detectors to be the same brand and model for them to work together. They certainly need to be compatible.

Short of connect the new detectors to the same circuit, you may be able to replace all the detectors with ones that communicate wirelessly. When one is triggered, it sends a wireless signal to the others, and they activate.

Old 06-22-06, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by racraft
Short of connect the new detectors to the same circuit, you may be able to replace all the detectors with ones that communicate wirelessly. When one is triggered, it sends a wireless signal to the others, and they activate.
How much more do these detectors cost than the wired ones?

Old 06-22-06, 06:34 PM
You need to check the installation instructions for your new and old units. Older units may use line voltage as the interconnect, while most new ones use low voltage. You may have a compatibility issue.