1961: Ground Washing Machine to Plumbing????

Old 06-23-06, 05:59 AM
1961: Ground Washing Machine to Plumbing????

We are buying a house that was built in 1961, that has primarily two-wire circuits (no ground) and has had the service upgraded to a recent grounded panel. I know a little about electirical work from past DIY work. We had an inspection done by an electrician. He noted several things, one of which was that the washing machine circuit is not grounded and also powers a water softener (via a cord draped near a sink).

He proposed to re-wire a grounded circuit back to the panel, and extend another receptacle to the water softener.

The sellers opted to have their own inspection. Their report suggests extending a receptacle and grounding to nearby plumbing.

Is that sufficient and up to code? If you change a circuit, then it has to come up to current code, right? The first guy sounds right to me, but I need some info to back me up. Thanks!

Nick

PS: Another quick one: Would GCFI have been required for garage receptacles in 1961?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-06, 06:09 AM
You did not state where you are from. You should fill in your profile so we know where you are located.

In the US it is not legal to ground to the plumbing except in a very specific instance. In Canada it is legal to ground to the plumbing.

In either case, a three wire circuit (hot, neutral and ground) all the way back to the panel is preferred, and is what I would do.

A house built in 1961 would not have any GFCIs as original.

Old 06-23-06, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have edited my profile. FYI, I am in Laramie, Wyoming.

I am going to have a new wire back to the panel and fix this right. I just need info to go back to the sellers with about whether or not their electrician's proposal is sufficient.

So, gounding to the plumbing is not up to code, right?

Nick

Old 06-23-06, 06:32 AM
Where does the water line from the street enter the house in relation to the washer? Is the water line from the street copper?

You actually don't need any ammunition. You're the buyer, Make it a requirement that the issue be addressed according to what your electrician wants done. Period. They will either comply (most likely) or they will try to negotiate.

Old 06-23-06, 06:48 AM
This is the negotiation. My electrician has called for several things beyond code (like wired/interconnected smokes, and GFCI in the garage). I'm trying to be fair and don't feel that they should have to exceed code, so I am willing to let those issues go. The bottom line is that the house MUST be safe and up to code, and it's on them to pay to get it there.

It's a solid house and the sellers are reasonable people.

I'm trying to figure out where to draw the line on this particular issue. I would have to look again at the plumbing to see if it's copper. Even if it is, is their proposed solution safe and up to code?

Thanks again for your replies!

Nick

Old 06-23-06, 06:50 AM
Since your in the USA

He proposed to re-wire a grounded circuit back to the panel, and extend another receptacle to the water softener.
Yep... he is correct and I agree with Bob.

The sellers opted to have their own inspection. Their report suggests extending a receptacle and grounding to nearby plumbing

No way this is prohibited by NEC 250.130(C). And OSHA 1910.303(a) does not allow metal water pipes as listed for equipment grounding.

PS: Another quick one: Would GCFI have been required for garage receptacles in 1961?
No