Electric Oven Hook-up

Old 06-24-06, 09:12 AM
Question Electric Oven Hook-up

I've also posted this in the appliance thread, was not sure which one was appropriate.

Anyway, installing a new replacement oven with my son, we have a hardwire hookup with red, black, white, and green wires coming from the new oven and my supply line only has red, black, and white. So it know it is blk to blk, red to red, and white to white. What do I do with the green ground, do I tie it to the whites?

DWC

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-06, 09:21 AM
nap
Didn't I see you in another topic.

Seek your answers there.

Old 06-24-06, 10:08 AM
"So it know it is blk to blk, red to red, and white to white. What do I do with the green ground, do I tie it to the whites?"

It depends. From where is the oven circuit coming from? Is it from the main panel or from a sub panel? If main panel, is the neutral and EGC(green wire) bonded together in the panel?

Old 06-24-06, 10:40 AM
nap
Originally Posted by wareagle
"So it know it is blk to blk, red to red, and white to white. What do I do with the green ground, do I tie it to the whites?"

It depends. From where is the oven circuit coming from? Is it from the main panel or from a sub panel? If main panel, is the neutral and EGC(green wire) bonded together in the panel?
It makes no difference. The neutral and ground cannot be connected outside of the service panel. This is a potentially damaging and possibly lethal mis-installation.

In older oven and dryer circuits this was done within the appliance itself. Newer codes no longer allow this so the recep needs to be changed out to a 4 wire recep (2 hots, 1 neut ,1 ground)

Old 06-24-06, 10:56 AM
Slow down nap. It is permitted to use existing wiring for dryers, ranges, etc.

The installation instructions for the oven should have instructions for a three wire hookup and for a four wire hookup. Follow the instructions for the three wire hookup. And follow them to the letter.

Obviously, the best solution is to replace the cable from the main panel, but this is not always possible without making holes, etc that need to be patched.

Old 06-24-06, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by nap
It makes no difference. The neutral and ground cannot be connected outside of the service panel. This is a potentially damaging and possibly lethal mis-installation.
In older oven and dryer circuits this was done within the appliance itself. Newer codes no longer allow this so the recep needs to be changed out to a 4 wire recep (2 hots, 1 neut ,1 ground)
It does make a difference. If the ckt is from the main panel with the neutral and EGC bonded together, it is permissible to use the neutral as the EGC as long as you bond the neutral and frame of the oven. This is for existing ovens that were installed with a 3 wire circuit.

Originally Posted by nap
This is a potentially damaging and possibly lethal mis-installation.
This is not true if the neutral is bonded to the oven frame in older installations.
Thats why it DEPENDS on the installation as it now exists. Read 250.140 of the 2005 NEC
and you shall have wisdom.

Last edited by wareagle; 06-25-06 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-24-06, 01:47 PM
nap
My apologies to all.

I tend to listen to my employer. He refuses to replace a 4 wire cord with a 3 wire cord, even if it is permissable.(I'm not the resi guy. Not an excuse, just a poor reason for the advice)

to wareagle: I have aquired the wisdom contained within the section. I do understand the reasoning for your question of service panel v. subpanel.

Based on that though, I would like to clarify for the OP that the service panel is the first disconnect from the POCO source. It is not always a panel in the house. Some installs have a main disconnect outside of the house and if this is the case, unless the range circuit is derived directly from that point, THEN it would not be allowed.

Ok with all??

Old 06-24-06, 02:17 PM
Gentlemen,

The power comes directly from the service panel. I've checked the panel and the ground and neutral are bonded together within that panel.

Therefore, am I correct that the ground and neutral from the appliance can be bonded together with the neutral from the service panel?

1986 home.

Thanks for the help.

DWC

Old 06-24-06, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by dwcurry
Gentlemen,
Therefore, am I correct that the ground and neutral from the appliance can be bonded together with the neutral from the service panel?
DW
There should be a bonding strap on the back at the connection terminals. Be sure that it is connected to the neutral terminal and the frame of the oven. I would say that you do not need to
use the green wire. Anyone disagree?

Originally Posted by nap
Some installs have a main disconnect outside of the house and if this is the case, unless the range circuit is derived directly from that point, THEN it would not be allowed.
You are correct.

Old 06-24-06, 04:10 PM
nap
The one thing nobody broached here is:

Is the range UL listed to be used with a 3 wire cord? If it isn't, then you cannot use a 3 wire cord.(circuit)

If it has the bonding strip as wareagle posted, it probably is. Check the literature as well.

If you have 4 wires coming from the range, it may not be listed to use a 3 wire recep but if you do, there should be instructions in the owners manual to tell you how to convert properly.

Old 06-24-06, 09:27 PM
Is the range UL listed to be used with a 3 wire cord? If it isn't, then you cannot use a 3 wire cord.(circuit)
Isn't this a wall oven? Hardwire installation for 120/240 volt. I believe the OP says he has a factory 4 wire pigtail. If all checks ok with the house circuit for 3 wire ...ie... wire size, breaker size, proper cable type ... you would simply connect the green wire of the pigtail to the neutral in the JB. Similiar to the intructions for this bosch oven......

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/unive...l500Series.pdf

Old 06-24-06, 10:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Roger
Isn't this a wall oven? Hardwire installation for 120/240 volt. I believe the OP says he has a factory 4 wire pigtail. If all checks ok with the house circuit for 3 wire ...ie... wire size, breaker size, proper cable type ... you would simply connect the green wire of the pigtail to the neutral in the JB. Similiar to the intructions for this bosch oven......

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/unive...l500Series.pdf

Not here in Beutifull Massachusetts.

If you change an appliance (and they notice) you MUST bring it into compliance, "And thats all I have to say about that"
And don't forget the permit!!!!! (sorry I lied). Now I'm done.

Old 06-25-06, 09:16 PM
Ok I admit some local codes dont allow it. Hey... no one is perfect but I know a few women who say they are and who can argue with that??

So what do they have there in ole Mass.....appliance police.....

Old 06-26-06, 02:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Close.... Nosey inspectors who ride around their towns and notice them in the trash, Then a friendly note to the homeowner. $$$$.