Preinspection assessment?

Old 06-28-06, 11:01 PM
Preinspection assessment?

On my property I have a 700 sq ft 'utility' or out building, unattached to house and unfinished inside. There is rough electric inside the structure but not tied in to power. It's obvious that the P.O. was in the middle of this structure when they sold.

I don't want to open any cans of worms with the city or whatnot but I would like to determine just where in the process the P.O. (a contractor) was, as far as inspection or approval. There's nothing on file regarding any rough-in inspections.

I'm not sure of how any process would work, with me being the new owner, if the structure had a problem with the rough-in. I'm not in a position to deal with it if it does need any redo but I would like to know what I have in front of me.

Would I be able to hire an electrician to check the rough, without raising a red flag, or putting me in a 'must do' situation?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-06, 03:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Unless and until you plan to hook it to the power system, you aren't in a "must do" situation. You can call an electrician to check out the wiring to make sure it is up to code. That will put you in a good position to apply for a permit to hook it hot. That will entail installing overhead triplex or underground cabling, buried to the proper depth, depending on whether you use conduit, or direct burial. Here, again, it would help to have the electrician make the connections, if you don't feel comfortable doing it.

Old 06-29-06, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info. That's what I was hoping to hear, thinking that it shouldn't matter if it wasn't hot.

There is underground cable to the structure but it's open ended on both ends; not tied into either service box.

Thanks again - peace of mind.