Outlet conversion question-

Old 06-29-06, 07:00 PM
Outlet conversion question-

I currently have a Leviton 15 Amp 250 Volt outlet in my homes dining room. I have yet to check it for power, this question is simply preliminary.

I have been offered an air conditioner that is supposedly 220 volt. Will confirm the plug type/power requirement next week.

My question is:
Can the existing plug be removed and replaced with a 220 volt plug that would be compatible with the ac?
What would be required to do this?

Thanks all-

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-06, 07:13 PM
nap
What is the wire size attatched to this recep??

That and what the A/C requires is going to be your determining factor.

The recep can be changed and the breaker can be changed (both easily) but if you don;t have large enough wire, you would need to run the correct size of conductor for the A/C.

Old 06-29-06, 07:53 PM
Not sure. I'll dig into this info this weekend though.

Question: Aren't I going from 250 Volt to 220 Volt? The wire size would potentially have to go up in this application?

Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by nap
What is the wire size attatched to this recep??

That and what the A/C requires is going to be your determining factor.

The recep can be changed and the breaker can be changed (both easily) but if you don;t have large enough wire, you would need to run the correct size of conductor for the A/C.

Old 06-29-06, 08:29 PM
250 volts is the maximum rating on the receptacle. If you are in the US in a residential situation, you do not actually have 250 volts. You have probably 240, which could also be 230 or 220 and for purposes of this discussion those three numbers are interchangeable.

What you haven't told us is what is the circuit breaker rating controlling that outlet? The configuration of the blades on the outlet establishes the max. voltage AND current ratings for the outlet.

So, now we need to know the blade confuguration on the air conditioner, to see if it falls within the range allowed by the outlet. Obviously, you should never connect a load which exceeds the ratings of the outlet and the breaker, and on the other hand, the breaker should not be way oversized to the load, either.

If you could post some pics of the plug and outlet you will receive further guidance.

Old 06-30-06, 12:17 PM
As long as you new AC is not over 15 ams the plug you have is probably the one you need.
When you get the AC post back with the requirements.