No wire nuts

Old 07-02-06, 01:40 AM
No wire nuts

Recently I was helping a friend add a new receptacle in a bedroom in a fairly new home (3-5 years old). When pulling the cover off an existing receptacle we were going to use to feed the new one we found the black had been bared and 3 other blacks bared and wrapped around, maybe soldered, then taped. Is this normal? Will this pass code?
Thanks for the help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-06, 04:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by rodf
Is this normal? Will this pass code?
No & No!

The guy who did this work must have been either 80 years old or clueless!

Solder itself is not against code. It's just that a splice shall be mechanically and electrically secure without being soldered. Then it can be soldered.
Simply twisting them is NOT adequate.

You said this house is only three years old??? Wow!
I'd be very curious as to what other issues there are.

Old 07-02-06, 05:22 AM
solder connectios

Agreed. There is nothing so secure as a soldered connection, particularly in certain environments, but from a standpoint of repairs and maintenance, never will I solder household wiring.

Old 07-02-06, 06:40 AM
What you describe was legal years ago. My house if 57 years old and has wires taped and soldered in all of the original boxes I have investigates where it was necessary to directly connect wires.

While these connections would not be legal now, they were legal then, and I do not need to bring them up to date until and unless I rewire and/or remodel.

My strategy, when I come across one, is to leave the connection intact unless I need to alter it. If I am just replacing a receptacle or switch then I leave the connection alone.

Old 07-02-06, 06:44 AM
nap
racraft]What you describe was legal years ago. My house if 57 years old and has wires taped and soldered in all of the original boxes
You have my sympathy Bob.

Old 07-02-06, 04:09 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the help and advice guys! For me, you experts make this a very valuable site. Thanks again.

Old 07-02-06, 04:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by racraft
What you describe was legal years ago. My house if 57 years old and has wires taped and soldered in all of the original boxes I have investigates where it was necessary to directly connect wires.

While these connections would not be legal now, they were legal then, and I do not need to bring them up to date until and unless I rewire and/or remodel.

My strategy, when I come across one, is to leave the connection intact unless I need to alter it. If I am just replacing a receptacle or switch then I leave the connection alone.
Me too.

And I have seen these multi-wire, solder-friction tape connections so jammed up in small metal boxes that I am afraid to even move anything when say installing a new light fixture. Often the wiring is more brittle and you can't hardly bend it anymore. And I don't feel like taking 2 hours to redo the whole thing. And that is if there is even enough soft wire up there to work with... otherwise the job would even be worse yet! So what I usually do is clip the 2 wires coming out of this menagarie, that go to the light, and then just wire nut on the 2 lightfixture wires onto those 2 wires, rather than disturb all of that up there.