landscaping around buried cables

Old 07-02-06, 06:38 AM
landscaping around buried cables

i have located the buried cables coming in and i was wondering what types of plants you can plant around them?

will things like flowers be a problem? stay away from shrubs?

i'm not going to plant a tree over them or anything, or anything in the easement.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-06, 06:54 AM
I have moved your post here for a better answer. You did not say what type of cables but this Forum will produce better answers than the Landscaping Forum would. Good luck.

Old 07-02-06, 09:00 AM
Just a thought and assumption but are you saying the cables are the utility company's? You may want to consider something you wouldn't mind being dug up if that is the case b/c if the utility company had to get to the cables it would have to be dug up. You may want to give the utility company a call and also find out information just in case. If this is not the case...ignore me.

Old 07-02-06, 09:16 AM
nap
If you got to the utitlity (power) company cables, either you are quite deep (they should be down at least 24 inches) or they are not buried deep enough.

If it is not deep enough, notify your local utility.

If in doubt as to whose they are, call the local "missdig" or other utility locators one is require to have check for buried utilities before digging. It is free (in all areas I am familiar with) and mandatory. Your power company should be able to give you the phone number.

Do not mess with the power cables, if that is what these are. Nicking one could be deadly.
You need to find out exactly and for sure what cables these are. It is too serious to guess.

Upon re-reading your post, I may have misunderstood your statement of "I located the buried cables" and over reacted.
If this means you did have them located but not by digging them up, then stay away from deep rooted plants or large plants. Grass is good. I would tend to stay away from bushes or shrubs as well. They can root fairly deep. I doubt they themselves would actually injure the cable but they may entwine themselves around the cable. If/when you take them out or worse yet, dig them out, this may become a serious accident in the making.

Last edited by nap; 07-02-06 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-03-06, 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by nap
Upon re-reading your post, I may have misunderstood your statement of "I located the buried cables" and over reacted.
If this means you did have them located but not by digging them up, then stay away from deep rooted plants or large plants. Grass is good. I would tend to stay away from bushes or shrubs as well. They can root fairly deep. I doubt they themselves would actually injure the cable but they may entwine themselves around the cable. If/when you take them out or worse yet, dig them out, this may become a serious accident in the making.
yeah, i had them located by calling the before you dig people. that is a great service by the way. i was thinking more along the lines of ornamental grasses and perennial bulbs, that sort of thing, which wouldn't really be that hard to take out if needed.

i was thinking about planting one shrub, but it would be about 3 ft away from the buried cables. would this be far enough away?

Old 07-03-06, 08:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your plan sounds just fine to me. Service laterals should be at least 24" deep, and nothing you're doing will be even close to that.