Can "Bad" Main Panel Increase Electric Bill

Old 07-03-06, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Can "Bad" Main Panel Increase Electric Bill

Curious about a statement made to me by an electrician. He said that an old breaker box can cause a higher electric bill. He said he had just installed a new breaker box for a customer and their bill had dropped from about $300/m to $200/m.

I suppose corroded buss bars and contacts could increase resistance and increase load and power wasted through heat but by 33% that seems high. He did mention you could feel heat coming from the breaker box and that was a sure sign (understatement winner of the month for sure) of a bad panel.

I just wondered how many electricians out there had seen drastic drops in electric charges after replacing an old breaker box heat or no heat evident.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-06, 09:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by ray2047
Curious about a statement made to me by an electrician. He said that an old breaker box can cause a higher electric bill. He said he had just installed a new breaker box for a customer and their bill had dropped from about $300/m to $200/m.

I suppose corroded buss bars and contacts could increase resistance and increase load and power wasted through heat but by 33% that seems high. He did mention you could feel heat coming from the breaker box and that was a sure sign (understatement winner of the month for sure) of a bad panel.

I just wondered how many electricians out there had seen drastic drops in electric charges after replacing an old breaker box heat or no heat evident.

Most times you see a drop in the electric bill, because the grounding and bonding has been corrected.
If these items are not made correctly, any inproperly/unbonded item can become a BIG resistive load (similar to electric heat/light bulb etc..
The panel change itself did not make the difference, But more of the upgrading of the total electrical system did make the change.

How old is your existing system now? New probabley won't hurt!

Old 07-03-06, 10:25 PM
Group Moderator
How old is your existing system now? New probabley won't hurt!
Zinsco!! <LOL>

Old 07-03-06, 10:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Zinsco!! <LOL>

OK!!! If thats how you feel............

Maybe time for new.

Old 07-03-06, 11:40 PM
Group Moderator
Would you believe space for only four tandems, no main breaker, and in scoping it out I realized the previous expert drove a 1/2" galvanized pipe in the ground for a ground rod.

Seriously I have known for the 30+ years that I have owned the house that Zinscos were obsolete but till this forum not how dangerous they were. I was certainly planing to change in any event. Any money saved is just icing on the cake.

My current water line is PVC all the way to the meter. Should I use two ground rods? (Location US)

Old 07-04-06, 04:22 PM
Zinsco!! <LOL>
I feel for you, Holmes! I had Zinsco in a 1952 house out in So. Cal. In 1990 it was literally impossible to find breakers for it, and one of mine kept tripping.

Fortunately, I happened to catch an electrician who dug up a used one out of his truck and gave it to me.

Old 07-04-06, 05:09 PM
My dad's place in AZ is running on a Zinsco subpanel and my place here in Vegas is running on a Zinsco main. They are both in excellent condition and the breakers are very available and cheap on eBay.

Must be your humidity?

Old 07-05-06, 02:40 PM
If the panel is costing you money it has to be generating a lot of heat for that to be noticable on your electric bill. Man it must be hot near it.

Catch my drift.