12G to 14G

Old 07-04-06, 03:44 PM
12G to 14G

I'd like to add some hi-hats replacing an old flourescent. It's off a 15 Amp circuit. The main cable from the breaker is 14G going into a junction box & then feeding the flourescent & other lights from that point. Is there a problem if I then replace the 14G cable used to supply the flouresecnt with 12G cable going from the junction box to wire the new Hi-hats?

Basically I guess I'm asking is it ok to mix 14G & 12G cables on the same circuit providing of coarse that the "smallest" cable in the circuit meets the minimum amperage requirement for the breaker/circuit.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-06, 04:00 PM
Technically no. However, most inspectors would frown on this. The problem is that someone else may see the 12 gage wire at the lights and think they can simply replace the breaker or fuse without bothering to examine the wire at the breaker or fuse.

Don't be cheap. Go to the store and but 14 gage wire, or replace the wire on the entire circuit with 12 gage wire.

Old 07-04-06, 04:10 PM
I see your point. From a pure funtionality perspective it wouldn't do any harm especially since I'm using a higher gage wire. It wasn't cheapness it was more laziness since I happen to already have a box of 12G cable around. Thanks for the info.