Protecting home wiring from lightning

Old 07-05-06, 05:18 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Protecting home wiring from lightning

My home took some damage from lightning last week, not from a direct strike, but from an electrical surge through the wiring. Most of the damage was to the control circuitry of my oven and the furnace, both of which are 240V appliances. A few other 120V devices in the house were damaged also. Items that were on surge protectors were okay.

Now I get nervous whenever the weather gets rough. What can be done to prevent this in the future? Is there anything I can do at the main circuit breaker level, like installing some sort of big surge protector?

Old 07-05-06, 05:21 AM
R
Yes. Whole house surge suppressors are available and do provide some level of protection. Ask at an electrical supply store or contact an electrician and make inquiries.

Old 07-05-06, 05:44 AM
we are in the lightning capital of the US here . we have one made by squareD it fits in the panel as a double breaker .

check with your electric company , ours has started a program where they offer it and it can be paid for over a few months on your electric bill

Old 07-05-06, 07:04 PM
B
Thanks! I'm looking into a few products now. This forum really is a great resource.

Old 07-05-06, 08:12 PM
W
Originally Posted by mango man
check with your electric company , ours has started a program where they offer it and it can be paid for over a few months on your electric bill
Mango
Are you sure you pay for the protector in a few months. The ones I've seen you pay a monthly fee for the use of the protector for as long as you use it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: