Mud Ring Not Deep Enough

Old 07-06-06, 02:39 PM
Mud Ring Not Deep Enough

I have four outlet boxes that need to be extended. The boxes are 4 inch square boxes, with a 1/2" raised mud ring (single gang). The problem is, it is still recessed too much in the wall (the drywall's already up), and I tried using this to extend it, but it's just not designed for it. I have to force it in, bend it with pliers, a big hint that this isn't the product for the job. What do I do? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-06, 02:59 PM
These have worked well for me. I have gotten them at Graybar.

http://www.aifittings.com/m_9.htm

Old 07-07-06, 06:43 AM
So how far back is the mud ring from the drywall surface? If the mud ring is recessed a bit less than a quarter inch or so it is in the right place. The plaster ears are used to mount the receptacles flush to the drywall surface.

Most box extenders aren't going to fit a mud ring opening because the opening is smaller than that of a standard box.

If you used something thicker than half inch drywall or didn't mount the boxes so the mud ring is flush to the back of the drywall you are probably going to be blessed with modifying a box extender. The plastic ones Arg suggests will be much easier to fit into the mud ring opening than a metal one. Just keep in mind that the material removed, if any, needs to be kept to a minimum as gaps redice the fire protection the box provides.

Old 07-07-06, 08:33 AM
Some of the drywall openings around the mud ring are too big for the ears of the receptacle to grab onto. The box is sunk in a quarter to a half an inch in some places.

When the box was installed, it was placed half inch away from the framing, to plan for the drywall, you know. But I guess, when the drywall was installed, the framing was not so flat and level which caused this problem to arise.

Old 07-07-06, 08:34 AM
you can buy the extender boxs at home depot and lowes ,

Old 07-08-06, 07:57 AM
Do they sell plastic ones, mango man?

Old 07-08-06, 09:07 AM
nap
Use the thing argmematey suggested above and use spacers behind the recep so the recep will tighten against the box with the adapter as argmematey suggested pinched in between the recep mount and the spacers.

Spacers are sold at many supply houses but I often take a length of solid copper wire and wrap it around a round screwdriver. Then cut to the length you need. If the box is too far inset, you may have to acquire longer 6-32 screws.

Old 07-08-06, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by electric1
Do they sell plastic ones, mango man?

Old 07-08-06, 01:13 PM
nap
Originally Posted by ArgMeMatey

This is the post I was referencing in my post. they work just fine.

Old 07-08-06, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by mango man
you can buy the extender boxs at home depot and lowes ,
The only ones I've seen at the big boxes are metal 1-gang.

There are a lot of timesaving, code-compliant items that the big boxes do not sell. A lot of DIYers look around and say "How the heck am I supposed to do this [to code] then?" and if you're lucky the orange-aproned person says "I don't know. Ask an electrician."

Then if you're cheap, you just make do, code be damned. If you're cheap and smart, you come here and ask. If you are cheap, smart and lucky you get an answer. If you are cheap, smart, lucky and have a few days, a phone and an internet connection, you can figure out a way to get the plastic Arlingtons. They are cheap, easy to cut, and code-compliant.