GFCI tripping

Old 07-06-06, 06:03 PM
GFCI tripping

I recently installed an outdoor receptacle and porch light on an existing GFCI protected kitchen circuit. The first receptacle on the circuit is a GFCI in the kitchen, I installed another GFCI outdoor receptacle at the end of the circuit, then ran the load to a switch and to the porch light at the end of the circuit.

The porch light worked fine at first (didn't check the receptacle) until it rained that night, then the first indoor receptacle tripped and wouldn't reset. Next day I opened the outdoor receptacle and porch light expecting to see water/dampness inside but found no evidence. Resealed both with silicone but GFCI still wouldn't reset. Cut off breaker and replaced GFCI kitchen receptacle thinking it might be faulty, but new one immediately tripped and won't reset. It's been several days without rain and it still won't work. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-06, 06:07 PM
Assuming you are in the US, you violated code. Change this to a different circuit.

As for two GFCIs on a single circuit, that's never a good idea.

Old 07-06-06, 06:42 PM
Really? I thought that might be the case but searched online and read of some examples where individual GFCIs are installed on each receptacle on the same circuit - including a post on this forum called "2 GFCIs on one circuit?".

Old 07-06-06, 06:47 PM
You have one GFCI protecting the other, which is the problem. To have multiple GFCIs on the same circuit they must be independent of each other.

However, you are ignoring the bigger problem. You have created a code violation. You don't want to leave this as it is, even if you do address the GFCI issue. You will regret it, and it won't pass inspection.

Old 07-06-06, 06:51 PM
Ok, thanks Racraft, I'll remove the exterior GFCI receptacle and replace with a regular one, sounds like that should solve my problem.

Old 07-06-06, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by wible1
Ok, thanks Racraft, I'll remove the exterior GFCI receptacle and replace with a regular one, sounds like that should solve my problem.
I doubt it.

Old 07-06-06, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by wible1
I recently installed an outdoor receptacle and porch light on an existing GFCI protected kitchen circuit. The first receptacle on the circuit is a GFCI in the kitchen, I installed another GFCI outdoor receptacle at the end of the circuit, then ran the load to a switch and to the porch light at the end of the circuit.
I don't see how he has one gfci protecting the other. They sound as if they are in parralel. And his "breaker box" doesn't have GFCI's. I think he means that he had an outlet in the kitchen that has a GFCI, and he added another outside with a GFCI, unless these were in series they won't protect each other, every outlet in my kitchen (made sure of that) is a GFCI and that went through inspection. If those GFCI's weren't so expensive I would replace every outlet in my house with them. GFCI's save lives as where breakers only try to prevent fires

I don't think he understands how you are interpreting end of circuit. I believe he ment to say he added another loop.

Old 07-06-06, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
I doubt it.
I agree with the doubt it to

Old 07-06-06, 08:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I doubt it too.

Back up,And remove it, Then do it right (correctley).
You obviousley have another issue aside from 2 GFCIs' in parallel.
The code violation, yes it is (nothing is to come off of the small appliance/kitchen ckt). The inspection.. I doubt your going to have one (I wouldn't either). Don't worry about that anyway, worry about your family and friends.

Old 07-06-06, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by lectriclee
I doubt it too.

The code violation, yes it is (nothing is to come off of the small appliance/kitchen ckt). The inspection.. I doubt your going to have one (I wouldn't either). Don't worry about that anyway, worry about your family and friends.
Now I can see that as a code violation. Not having more than 1 gfci in one branch. You guys know the website to the codes

Old 07-06-06, 08:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ya, A Membership in the NFPA, or other affiliated group, Or $70+ to the local supply house (every 3 years).

Old 07-06-06, 08:39 PM
I should have figured there was a scam involved somewhere to take your money.

I can just get access to them at work because we aid in setting codes and work closely with the NFPA. I was hoping there was something more convienent.

Thanks

Old 07-07-06, 04:16 AM
In his first post wible1 clearly states that he installed the porch light and outdoor receptacle "at the end of the circuit". Further he states that "The first receptacle on the circuit is a GFCI in the kitchen".

The probable code violation is that he added something other than what is allowed to a kitchen small appliance circuit.

My interpretation of his post is that the new porch light and outdoor receptacle are downstream from the first GFCI.

Now it is possible that he doesn't have two GFCIs in series, and it is possible that this circuit isn't one of the small appliance circuits serving the kitchen counter top, but I think they are in series and that this circuit does serve the kitchen counter top.

Old 07-07-06, 07:40 AM
Looks like neither of us can read and what he wrote has places that are open to interpretation