Branch panel in Separate Garage

Old 07-07-06, 05:21 PM
Branch panel in Separate Garage

I am planning on running power to my detached garage. (Right now I am running everything on a 20amp extension cord.) It's about 25 feet from the house. I haven't decided whether to go aerial or underground. The entrance panel is on the wall facing the garage so either way is pretty simple.
I plan on running #8-3 and neutral on a 30amp breaker to a branch panel with 2 circuits for lights (15amp) and two circuits for outlets (20amp). Do I need a separate ground rod for the garage or should I tie into the main panel ground? Or both?
If I go aerial, can I use UF 8-3 with a steel-wire support or do I need some other type of wire?

Thanks,
Hal

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-06, 05:47 PM
UF is only suitable for direct burial.

I recommend that you run buried conduit. I suggest more than a 30 amp circuit. I would go at least 60. But if you do run conduit you can always change it later.

You can run a three wire circuit or a four wire circuit. To run a 3 wire circuit there must be no other metal path back to the main building, such as a water pipe, or telephone line, or whatever.

You need a ground rod at the garage.

Old 07-08-06, 07:19 AM
To run a 3 wire circuit there must be no other metal path back to the main building, such as a water pipe, or telephone line, or whatever.

I've seen this mentioned several times and I just don't understand it, sorry.

My detached garage has a 3 wire feed but the power comes directly from the meter can, not the main panel like the original poster. Garage has a 100 amp Square D panel with ground rod.

I have cable TV and a phone in the garage, old rotary type. Is this OK?

Thanks,

Baldwin

Old 07-08-06, 07:25 AM
A feed coming from the meter is different than a feed coming from a main panel.