Hot Tub Electrical Problem?

Old 07-09-06, 08:08 PM
Question Hot Tub Electrical Problem?

My G F C I was tripping on my hot tub I replaced it as instructed and it still trips, It only trips when I push the blower switch into the off position if I leave the air blower switch on and reset GFCI every thing works fine until I shut off the air blower then it trips? I did replace the air blower switch and it didnt help resolve this

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-06, 08:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by sc000bber
My G F C I was tripping on my hot tub I replaced it as instructed and it still trips, It only trips when I push the blower switch into the off position if I leave the air blower switch on and reset GFCI every thing works fine until I shut off the air blower then it trips? I did replace the air blower switch and it didnt help resolve this

Most likely not the switch, from what you stated.Check all the wires TO the switch, and the air blower.;lSomething is 'LEAKING" BY.
Have you used the hose to wash? Did someone drop somthing on it?
It's usually somthing (stupid) that you know about, but didn't realize.
The good news........ The GFCI is doing "ITS'" job!

Old 07-09-06, 09:44 PM
Did this problem occur in a new installation? Or was the hot tub working fine for some time and then the gfci started tripping?

Old 07-09-06, 09:57 PM
hot tub was working fine it all started about a week ago

Old 07-09-06, 09:58 PM
I changed the switch and it still does it when i use the new switch also

Old 07-09-06, 10:05 PM
The fact that the gfci trips when you "open a switch" tells me you are really closing it and causing the gfci to trip due to a miswire of a switch loop. This would imply that the fan is getting constant non-switched power and only shuts off because the gfci trips out when you operate the switch.

Old 07-09-06, 10:13 PM
hot tub

the wiring is exactly the same as when it was working fine thats whats so puzzling the recirculation pump and heater all operate as they should but only if i now let the air blower run 24 hrs a day cause if push the blower switch then it trips the gfci even with blower not plugged to panel

Old 07-09-06, 10:15 PM
hot tub

the swith has three spades on it two are identified with
labeling. 2 that are marked On and 1 marked Com. does that help you?

Old 07-09-06, 10:22 PM
do you have a wire connected to all three spades?

Old 07-09-06, 10:25 PM
hot tub

yes 1 is connected to line feed 1 is connected to load and i think the last one is connected to a adjustable pressure relay that i did try to change the pressure settings to see if it made any difference it didnt seem to have any effect on my problem

Old 07-09-06, 10:37 PM
Ok, we may be ahead of our horse but are you sure you have it wired like the old switch?

Reason I ask of course is that something occured that caused the gfci to start tripping before you ever touched the switch. If the gfci was indeed bad then maybe a miswire is causing the new one to trip... thats where we are at.

Normally the line feed is connected to common and then 1 would be connected to the blower and 2 would go to the relay.

Is there a labeled "off" position on the switch?

Old 07-09-06, 10:43 PM
hot tub

nope 2 on 1 com i have the old switch in my hand as we speak

Old 07-09-06, 10:52 PM
Ok I take that means two "on" positions and 1 common position and no "off" position.

Old 07-09-06, 10:55 PM
hot tub

yes correct

Old 07-09-06, 10:58 PM
Ok... so you have the incoming power connected to common... then the relay and blower connected to the other two?

This sounds like a SPDT switch but I'm not sure if it has a center "off' position. If it has a center "off" then I dont think this is the problem. However if it is "on" and "on" with no "off" then it is a possibility that when you select the second load ...(pressure relay)...with the switch something is causing the gfci to trip out.

Disconnect the wire to the relay at the switch and see what happens when you turn the blower "off" or select the other load which ever it does. If the gfci does not trip then the problem is at the pressure relay or in that circuit somewhere.

Last edited by Roger; 07-10-06 at 12:04 AM.