Question about shower by breaker

Old 07-10-06, 03:45 PM
BuddyGoodness
Visiting Guest
Question about shower by breaker

I bought a house a few weeks ago. It has a finished basement with a laundry room in it. The breaker box is directly above the basement drain and they had built a shower about four feet away from the box. The shower has walls around it so there is no chance of the water spray hitting the box and the box appears to be a gfci. My question is is this safe? Also, I was looking at the plug in the upstairs laundry room, all the upstairs plugs are not grounded but this one is a three prong and I pulled the cover off to see if it was actully grounded. Whoever put the plug in had just put a ground wire from the outlet to the cold water pipe. Is this safe/right or should I have this fixed?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-06, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by BuddyGoodness
The breaker box is directly above the basement drain and they had built a shower about four feet away from the box.
Current code does not permit a circuit breaker panel to be in a bathroom. I'm not sure what an inspector would say about a shower that is out in the open.

The shower has walls around it so there is no chance of the water spray hitting the box and the box appears to be a gfci.
What box are you talking about?

Also, I was looking at the plug in the upstairs laundry room, all the upstairs plugs are not grounded but this one is a three prong and I pulled the cover off to see if it was actully grounded. Whoever put the plug in had just put a ground wire from the outlet to the cold water pipe. Is this safe/right or should I have this fixed?
Current code in the US does not allow grounding to a water pipe except in a very specific case. Canadian code does allow this. While I would have this addressed, I wouldn't rush right out and do it, I would lump it with other things I needed done.

Old 07-11-06, 11:00 PM
BuddyGoodness
Visiting Guest
is the grounded water line gonna cause me to be shocked when I shower?

Old 07-11-06, 11:01 PM
BuddyGoodness
Visiting Guest
By box I meant breaker box.

Old 07-12-06, 05:30 AM
is the grounded water line gonna cause me to be shocked when I shower?
Not in normal use.