portable generator grounding

Old 07-11-06, 08:50 AM
portable generator grounding

I'm about to connect a portable generator to my house through a manual transfer switch. It's my understanding that the generator needs to be grounded. There is no copper water pipe nearby, and driving an 8' grounding rod through the rocky soil is not a practical option. Can I run an appropriate ground wire from the lug on the generator to the grounding bar in the house service panel? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-06, 05:41 PM
It depends on whether you are switching the neutral of you system to the generator. How many poles on the transfer switch? If this a permanent installation? Grounded does not necessarily connected to dirt. Bonded is a better term.

Old 07-11-06, 06:13 PM
The connection will not be permanent. The generator will be attached to the transfer switch via a generator cord, which will be disconnected when not in use. The transfer switch has a neutral wire and a ground, both of which will be attached to the service panel. Thanks

Old 07-11-06, 09:06 PM
If you do not switch the neutral then you use the present electrical system EGC(equipment gnd conductor Green wire)
to bond to the gen frame. The cord you are using should be a 4 wire cord, 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 gnd(green maybe). In the panel the neutral and gnd should be seperated. The neutral goes to the neutral bus and the gnd(green) goes to the ground bus. The bonding jumper between the generator neutral and frame is removed. I would check with the mfg to verify this for warrenty purposes. The generator is grounded thru the electrical system gnd(water pipe, gnd rod etc.)

Old 07-12-06, 12:02 PM
Got it; thanks for your help. FYI, I did try to check with the manufacturer (DeWalt), but they were absolutely no help ("...codes vary from one area to another. Check with an electrical professional in your area.")