Garbage disposal confusion!?

Old 07-11-06, 11:18 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garbage disposal confusion!?

I am doing a kitchen remodel and have a wiring question. I have wired a switch and receptacle for my garbage disposal. After searching the code and this (and other) websites I've figured out that I don't need any special receptacle. I have a dedicated curcuit and have run 12/2 romex. My question is this: what do I use to actually wire the disposal? I purchased a cord that read "disposal cord" at a local plumbing/electrical supply, but want to make sure it's prudent to use it. So... can I just use this (16 gauge) wire and can I just use a cable clamp at the entrance into the disposal? This seems like it would work, but the instructions say I have to buy a kit to do a plug-in type wiring, and their (insinkerator) site seems to be not working. Various websites show just using regular NM cable running from wall directly into the disposal (http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hi_plu...68621,00.html). Can you seriously do this? My understanding is that this sort of application is totally unacceptable!

Any help is greatly appreciated!
ps: unit is 1/2 horse, badger if that is important

MrSam

Old 07-12-06, 05:45 AM
R
There are two ways to connect up a disposal. One is by wiring in a cord and plug, as you have done, and the other is by directly connecting to power. However, NM cannot be used for this.

It sounds like what you have done is fine.

Old 07-12-06, 06:38 AM
As a plumber, I have seen hundreds of disposers hard-wired with a stub of NM coming right out of the wall. This probably wasn't to code, but it is what they did. These days, they are usually plugged in. If hard wired, I usually see bx or mc or ac?

Old 07-12-06, 07:18 AM
R
NM must be protected, so having it exposed unser the sink is not allowed. However, not everyone follows the rules. BX, MC or AC should be used.

Old 07-12-06, 07:43 AM
S
So how is it that a self proclaimed home improvement site like diy network instructs one to do it so wrong? I don't believe I will be using that site anymore.

MrSam

Old 07-12-06, 12:03 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
It is your LOCAL code that determines what wiring method(s) may be used.

DIY websites, magazines and television shows often give misleading or outright wrong instructions on doing jobs around the house. The one that is most irksome to me is the idea of using teflon tape and/or thread sealant on every type of threaded plumbing joint regardless of how the seal is actually made.

Old 07-12-06, 07:17 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by sjacobso
So how is it that a self proclaimed home improvement site like diy network instructs one to do it so wrong? I don't believe I will be using that site anymore.

MrSam
Your statement is unfair.
This site has many knowledgeable respondants. A GOOD part of the problem is we don't know your general location. The NATIONAL code is just that NATIONAL. Many states superseed the "NEC", My state for example has an additional 25 pages of exceptions and modifications. So before you "Dis" this site, Give the people here a chance.Ask a Generic question and you will get a generic answer. Some states even go as far as having county or city ordnances, so keep it in perspective and ask your AHJ, Better still hire the Pro.(their insured).

Old 07-12-06, 07:41 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
He wasn't referring to our site, but to another one. I have found the advice given on this site to be well thought out, with only a few exceptions, and there is usually someone to come by and do a save.
Sjacobso, c'mon back. We'll be here.

Old 07-12-06, 07:51 PM
L
My apoligies, If I was mistaken, (type can be misunderstood)
BUT GOSH DARNIT I stand by the Knowledgable people part!!!!!!!!

Old 07-12-06, 09:23 PM
S
Nonono! So sorry! I did in fact mean another site. I have found this site to be absolutely fantastic with very knowledgable folk and wonderful information. Sorry I was unclear on that... please still let me use this forum

As far as local code goes, I know everyone has their own rules and regs, but can they actually allow something like the application I described? Would some areas allow nm to be unshielded and out in the open like that? That seems kinda crazy to me...

Thanks to all for great replies; my confusion has been safely grounded...ha ha... ah nevermind

MrSam

Old 07-12-06, 09:42 PM
NM-B is not supposed to be installed where subject to damage. Many jurisdictions do not view a piece of NM-B used to wire a disposer as being in an area subject to damage, and this is in fact a very common way to install a disposer. Additionally, AC, MC, and FMC are all prohibited from being used in areas subject to damage unless listed for the use, and seldom are.

The long and short of all this is that if the area is subject to damage you must use metallic conduit or schedule 80 PVC - not often done on a disposer.

Check your local rules and see what is required there. The next county /city may be different.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: