Attic Lights

Old 07-11-06, 04:52 PM
Attic Lights

In my old home, I've just removed two windows from my attic. There's no more daylight, and the only light left is from a single incandescent fixture in the center of the attic.

I need to add lighting. I had first thought of fluorescent lights, but I read of problems in heat (harming the ballast) or cold (failure to light). I'd prefer two or three fluorescent shop lights, but if they're not right for an attic, I won't use them. Note--it's unfinished and gets VERY hot in the summer and VERY cold in the winter.

Should I just go with a series of incandescent bulbs in the basic plastic or ceramic fixtures? Are there any neat alternatives--something that'll put out a good bit of light (which is the only way that I can get my wife to go up there)? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-06, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by bmears
In my old home, I've just removed two windows from my attic. There's no more daylight, and the only light left is from a single incandescent fixture in the center of the attic.

I need to add lighting. I had first thought of fluorescent lights, but I read of problems in heat (harming the ballast) or cold (failure to light). I'd prefer two or three fluorescent shop lights, but if they're not right for an attic, I won't use them. Note--it's unfinished and gets VERY hot in the summer and VERY cold in the winter.

Should I just go with a series of incandescent bulbs in the basic plastic or ceramic fixtures? Are there any neat alternatives--something that'll put out a good bit of light (which is the only way that I can get my wife to go up there)? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

Brian
I just put 3 plastic round boxes in with the regular old plastic fixtures for 60 watt bulbs in the attic. Much cheaper and more reliable that fluorescent lights - especially for the extreme tempertaure enviorment of an attic.

Joe Michel

Old 07-11-06, 07:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is nothing "neat" about an unfinished attic.

Put as many incandescent keyless fixtures as you need for good coverage and be done with it.