Installing an External 230v outlet

Old 07-14-06, 10:58 AM
Thumbs up Installing an External 230v outlet

Ive just bought a Lincoln Mig-Pak 15 welder and have no place to plug it in just yet (230v 3 prong plug). Since I have a new 200amp panel in my house that is hardly being used to its full potential I was hoping to run a separate line to a new external 230v outlet with maybe a couple 110 outlets for an extension cord or two. I was just wondering what would be the proper way to do this and if anyone might forsee some problems I might run into right down to tying it in to the panel.

eg. How should the oultet be weather proofed,
What type of wire should I use,
etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-06, 11:45 AM
First do some reading.

Start with Wiring Simplified. It will answer all the questions you have asked, and all the ones you didn't think to ask. Then you can post back here with any additional questions.

Basically, you are doing separate projects. A 240 volt receptacle is a separate project from any and all 120 volt receptacles.

Assuming NM is allowed in your area, the cable can be NM if none of the wiring is outdoors. What size you use depends on the requirements of the welder, and whether you want the 120 volt receptacles to be on a 15 or 20 amp circuit (I highly recommend a 20 amp circuit).

You will need a weatherproof in-use cover for your receptacles if they are recessed, or a weatherproof box and a weatherproof in-use cover if they are surface mounted.

Old 07-14-06, 05:03 PM
Your welder needs a 30A breaker, so you have the option of running only #10 wire to your NEMA 6-50R receptacle, or if you want the full ability of the receptacle in case you get a bigger welder later, run #8 and a 50A breaker.

But you'll need some knowledge of modern wiring methods, as mentioned. BE SAFE.