Recessed light installed next to ceiling joist

Old 07-14-06, 04:48 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed light installed next to ceiling joist

I would like to ask if it is acceptable to install a recessed halogen light fixture in close proximity to a wood ceiling joist?

To elaborate: I want to install three Halo recessed lights in a hallway, the ones that are not rated for insulation contact. (This area of the attic does have some blown in insulation and I would be careful to move it at least several inches from the Halo fixtures.) One of the new Halos would take the place of an existing standard ceiling fixture. I can remove the fixture, then remove the junction box and use the existing wiring there to begin my row of recessed halos. The halo would slip into the hole in the ceiling vacated by the old fixture so I would not have to do any ceiling repair. But since the old junction box that I would be removing is nailed to a ceiling joist, the new recessed fixture would be very close to (almost touching) that joist. I know these recessed fixtures should not contact insulation but the instructions don't seem to say anything about proximity to wood. I also know the fixtures get pretty warm when the light is on. How concerned should I be about this proximity to the wood ceiling joist? My situation - wanting to replace an existing fixture with recessed - must be pretty common so what is the accepted practice here?

Thanks.

Old 07-15-06, 07:16 AM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You should have no problem with the fixture "near" the joist.
However I'm very troubled by the non-IC fixture, especialy with blown in insulation. Return these and get the proper cans. Halogens get very hot and this WILL be something bad waiting to happen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: