New home purchase; switch does not control any outlets?

Old 07-14-06, 06:21 PM
New home purchase; switch does not control any outlets?

First post...
In a home we just purchased (built in '88), one of the bedrooms has a switch near the door that does not control any of the outlets in the room. The other bedrooms have switches that control one outlet in the room.

Any suggestions on where to start to figure out which outlet it is supposed to control?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-06, 06:49 PM
Have you looked up? Just maybe it is the one room that actually had an overhead fixture...

Have you opened up the switch box and took a look at the wires? Have you tested them for current?

Old 07-14-06, 06:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It could also control half of one receptacle. Did you check top and bottom of all receptacles?

Old 07-14-06, 08:02 PM
Have you looked to see if there are wires on it at alll?
Sometimes the aprentice installs a 2 gang box... and the only fix is a dummy switch for a dummy helper.

Old 07-15-06, 06:17 AM
You will have to check all the receptacles in the room and possibly the switch. It's possible that the previous homeowner rewired so that the switched receptacle is no longer switched.

Old 07-15-06, 09:26 AM
Thanks for all the replies above.

Yes, checked both receptacles in each outlet. No overhead fan/light. Will test the current at the switch and post an update......

Old 07-15-06, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's possible that the previous owner replaced the switched receptacle with a new one, and didn't remove the jumper between the two sections.
If you have a tester, check the two terminals on the switch against ground with the switch on and off. If both terminals are hot in both positions, the jumper wasn't removed. Then you have to figure out which recept. needs modifying.

Old 07-15-06, 01:51 PM
Are you saying this bedroom has NO overhead light, at all, no ceiling box?

Is it possible the ceiling was redone and the box covered over? You'd have to get to the attic space to find out for sure.

Old 07-15-06, 02:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just F.Y.I., my previous home, a ranch, was built in 1968 and had no ceiling lights in any of the three bedrooms. It did have switched receptacles in each room. Contractor saved a few bucks I guess.

Old 07-15-06, 03:03 PM
goldstar, it has nothing do do with saving bucks. Many folks prefer switched receptacles in bedrooms. For the era of your house it was very common to do this.

Old 07-15-06, 03:39 PM
Is your neighbors garage door going up and down? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hope you get it figured out.

DWC

Old 07-15-06, 07:06 PM
I have seen cases where a switch in the bedroom turns outside lights on & off. I have also seen switches in bedrooms that control attic vent fans, or attic lights.
Good luck & let us know what you find

Old 07-15-06, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=dwcurry]Is your neighbors garage door going up and down? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hope you get it figured out.

DWC[/QUOTE

Gee wiz I thought I was alone with My "twisted" sence of humor!!!

Oh ya , Regarding the thread, This was probably a spec house. Therefore you (contractor) spend no more than you must, Just meet code. Stiil the case.. A ceiling light or sw/ receptical. You pick. Contractor.. already a box for the rec. must add a box for fixture. ( like the $6.95 will break us.)Have you checked to see if there are wires on the switch?

Old 07-24-06, 10:10 PM
The box containing the non-functioning switch had a set of wires tied off with wire nuts; reconnected them to the switch.

One of the outlets had an extra pair of wires (black and white) not connected to the outlet. Connected them up.

Likely this outlet was used by a prior owner and had a TV connected to the outlet, and did not want the wall switch to control his TV watching

Mystery switch solved Thanks again for the posts.

Old 07-25-06, 10:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for reporting back. It's always good to hear " the rest of the story". Enjoy your new home.