keep two panels for one house?

Old 07-14-06, 06:48 PM
keep two panels for one house?

we have a two family house that we're reverting back to a single family. there is a separate 100amp panel for each flat ( up and down ), individually metered. they were both put in by the previous owners just a few years ago and are easilly going to meet our needs, so i'd just assume keep them than install a single 200 amp panel. what i'm wondering is if, and how, i can have both these panels tied into one meter? would i just need to call the utility company and request they do this, or is it more complex than that?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-06, 04:35 AM
It's a little more complex than that. You could remove the service from one panel and change the other panel to a feed through panel with a main. That would require running proper sized wire from the new feed through panel to the service connection of the other panel.

When you do this, put a large label on the second panel to alert the fire department and other electricians that the other panel exists and is the main.

Old 07-15-06, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
The real question is as I see it does two meters cost you more then one. Talk to your electric company. They can bill you for both meters on one bill. The increased cost if any might not be enough to justify the cost of new wiring.

How close are the two panels? You might be able to run both from one meter but again if it doesn't save you any money or saves very little it might not be worth.

Old 07-15-06, 09:27 AM
thanks for the replies. the cost is a good question. i'm in upstate ny and the delivery charges are crazy. basic delivery for each was over $16, and that doesn't incuse usage. add the delivery adjustments, tarriffs and sales tax and the delivery charges alone can be 40 to 60 a month in summer for each. so if i can get rid of tha cost it'd be a large savings.

after calling the utility company, they say i have to hire an electrician to combine the service panels, get it signed off by the inspector and then they'll come out and remove the meter.

so now my question is, what is the work that an electrician is going to do, and what kind of cost am i going to be looking at? is the job going to be what mdtaylor posted, or is there another option? looking for the simplest and most cost effective solution. but if it saves me 30 a month it'll be worth it at most any price.

Old 07-16-06, 11:14 AM
bumping this, along with a new question...

could the supply leaving one meter be spliced to the disconnected supply leaving the other? i'm interested in any way to connect the two panels with little interior work.