Built-in Oven Junction box question

Old 07-18-06, 12:05 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Built-in Oven Junction box question

Hope you can clear up some uncertainty on my part.

I am roughing in electrical for a double built-in oven. (8/3 wire for a 40A circuit)

My question (and sorry if this sounds stupid) - Does the junction box for this connection get mounted inside the cabinet or do I have to recess the junction box into the wall behind the cabinet with a cutout?

The instructions say just to drill a hole for electrical in the bottom of the support shelf holding the oven and feed the armoured cable (from the oven) through the hole to the junction box when I make the connection. The installation diagram that came with the oven is terrible and doesn't really show exactly where the box should be located.

Hope you can help
SD

Old 07-18-06, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Sddow, welcome to the forums. The junction box can be externally mounted if you desire. Make sure you have the proper strain reliefs installed on each cable that enters the box, and make sure it is deep enough to do the job. Just mount it out of the way so you won't hit it everytime you go under the cabinet.

Old 07-18-06, 02:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Check the installation instructions for a diagram of where to mount the electrical box. Some may be at the top of the oven near the back, others seem to require access through a drawer under the oven.

Old 07-20-06, 07:59 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Chandler,

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, but what do you mean by "strain relief"? Are you referring to wire clamps at the junction box? slack in the wire? or is this something different?

Thanks,
SD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: