Comments about Mini Breakers?

Old 07-16-06, 02:45 PM
Comments about Mini Breakers?

Hello. I am going to CT soon, and besides my best efforts to convince my Uncle to switch to a circuit breaker system,
he won't. The House was built in the 1850's, however has a fuse panel and semi-modern wiring (If you consider 1970's wirng modern). I was thinking of getting him some mini breakers (those screw-in circuit breakers)so he doesn't have to buy fuses all the time. Are these good? Reliable? What much should it cost to upgrade to a circuit breaker system?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-06, 07:01 PM
Group Moderator
If he has to buy fuses all the time he may have more serious problems that needs to be addressed. Of course if were talking a high start amp circuit such as an AC he may be using fast blow fuses when he needs slow blow. If that's the case circuit breakers would help. Other circuits though shouldn't be blowing fuses. If they are that needs to be fixed first.

Old 07-16-06, 07:02 PM
There is nothing wrong with a fuse panel. Many would say it is superior. Breakers have been known to fail fuses have not. The main problem is people using the wrong fuse.

If you are blowing fuses so often that you want to use mini breakers then you should consider splitting up some of the circuits. Mini breakers or a fuse panel are not going to resolve that problem.

Last edited by joed; 07-16-06 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-16-06, 07:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Both above I agree with. Fuses are fine and in some minds superior. Often tripping fuses a bigger problem, fix that first.
Motor loads AC/Fridge etc. use 2-time or "time delay" type fuses. Fix the problems, Then you can revisit the other angles.

Old 07-18-06, 01:41 PM
By "all the time" I mean when the AC and Fridge start up. Sometimes the Room AC, Fridge and Washer are all on at the same time, they blow a fuse. Unfortunately they are all on the same circuit. I am going to advise him to upgrade to a 20 amp circuit, or run a dedicated line to the AC and fridge.

Old 07-18-06, 01:47 PM
You can't just change the fuse a 20. You need upgrade the wire as well. You should just add a new circuit for the AC and leave the other one alone as a 15 amp.

Old 07-18-06, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
The AC should definitely be on a separate circuit. I'm guessing though if this is a fuse panel all spaces may be used. You may need to add a sub panel. Also make sure you are using slow blow fuses with the AC.

Old 07-18-06, 05:54 PM
Yes, I meant not just putting a 20 Amp fuse in, but upgrading to 12 guage too, and plugs, etc. I will give him this advice. Thanks!