campground power meter

Old 07-17-06, 05:36 AM
campground power meter

I'll try and make this as short as possible. My camper is on a permanent site at a campground and the electric is metered. I had to have my camper towed out for repairs to the room. I noticed that the power meter for my site was still turning even though my camper was UNPLUGGED. On my own, I opened the box and saw that it was fed with 10-3 uf wire. My circuit was on the red and the camper next door was on the black.(the other camper was fed with 10/2 from the 10/3) I disconnected the black and my meter stopped and so did the other one. Why does my meter spin when the other camper is hooked up? We both have separate meters. Is it because of the same neutrals? I asked the campground owner and got hell for taking the boxes apart. He said everything was ok. I know it's not. What can be wrong?
Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-06, 05:51 AM
I would have to see pictures or a good schematic to diagnose this one....

But the campground owner is correct in his actions. He could have been held liable to some extend if you had killed yourself.

Certainly there is a procedure to follow to verify that the power meter is installed correctly. If you pay the power company directly they would have certainly come out and inspected it for you. If you pay the campground owner for electric, and the meter is a private meter for that purpose then you should be able to hire your own master electrician to inspect it.

Old 07-17-06, 05:53 AM
Sounds like they've found a crafty way to double bill evryone.

Like MD says get an electrician to check the connections and get it documented. They may owe you a ton of money.

Old 07-17-06, 06:23 AM
I'd call the power company first. Even if it's not in their jurisdiction, they'd refer you to who to ask in local government.

Old 07-17-06, 07:13 AM
My guess would be that they have the other campers meter wired to the load side of yours.

Old 07-17-06, 07:36 AM
I agree. You have been paying for the other campers usage. Sounds like he has also been paying.
With your meter disconnected there is no way your meter should be running. Confront the campground owner and ask for arefund of the double builded power.

Old 07-17-06, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by joed
I agree. You have been paying for the other campers usage. Sounds like he has also been paying.
With your meter disconnected there is no way your meter should be running. Confront the campground owner and ask for arefund of the double builded power.
Except, now that he has entered the box and made modifications he has clouded any claims he could make. His only hope now is to get either his own electrician or the poco to check the service and fix it correctly.

Old 07-17-06, 08:18 AM
Yes, I agree. Opening the box has created a situation where you could be accused of creating a mis-wired meter just to make a claim.

You MAY need to get your neighbor's bills and compare them to yours. You MAY also need to get a lawyer if the owner gives you a hassle.

Old 07-17-06, 11:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some states have renter protection laws which require government oversight for submetering by landlords. This is designed to protect renters in your situation from being unfairly billed for utilities. Perhaps you could call the building codes department in your city or county and see what your options are.

Old 07-17-06, 12:11 PM
how much have the bills been ?

have they seemed resonable or high ?

Old 07-18-06, 04:15 AM
Thanks for all the replies--well, for only being there on weekends (ref. is on 24/7) my bill was $58.00, thats about half of what I pay for service for my house for a month. I should mention though that when I opened up the box, I didn't disconnect the meter. On top of the box theres a bushing that connects the meter to the box. The 10/3 enters through the bottom and the 10/2 that goes to the other campsite also exits through the bottom. The only thing I see in common with it all is that all the neutrals and grounds are together. I was thinking that maybe the neutral that is connected for the other camper should be separated. I'm still going to keep bringing this to the owners attention. Something is wrong.
joe

Old 07-18-06, 04:20 AM
Ok, a question. The meter is right above your distribution box, right? Do you pay the power company for electric or do you pay your landlord for electric?

Old 07-18-06, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by JMS124
Thanks for all the replies--well, for only being there on weekends (ref. is on 24/7) my bill was $58.00, thats about half of what I pay for service for my house for a month. I should mention though that when I opened up the box, I didn't disconnect the meter. On top of the box theres a bushing that connects the meter to the box. The 10/3 enters through the bottom and the 10/2 that goes to the other campsite also exits through the bottom. The only thing I see in common with it all is that all the neutrals and grounds are together. I was thinking that maybe the neutral that is connected for the other camper should be separated. I'm still going to keep bringing this to the owners attention. Something is wrong.
joe
Follow through on some of these other questions. What have your neighbor's bills been like?

Old 07-18-06, 11:10 AM
We pay the owner for the electric. His wife reads the meters the first of each month. As far as the other persons monthly bill, I haven't seen him yet to ask. If he's up there this weekend I surely will ask him. But...I did ask others and the bills average between 20-25 per month. I'm told that because I have a backup electric hot water heater my bill is higher. I actually only used it once up there last year. I stick with the propane.
joe

Old 07-18-06, 02:07 PM
I wonder if the neighbor is an "electrician." Maybe HE knows enough to run his cables and yours through your meter. Are there any tabs on the meters there that show if they've been tampered with by non-authorized personnel?

Old 07-19-06, 06:00 AM
I did look and there are tabs that seem to be intact. I did find out though that the power meters were installed on the boxes a year after they bought the campground. Originally there was just an outlet box there. Then they replaced them with a larger box, looks like about 8 inches wide X 12 inches high and inside the cover is the outlet for the camper and a gfci outlet along with a 30 and 20 amp breaker. When I opened it up, the breakers come off the same bar. It's only 120 volts. Anyway, I'm not an electrician but looking at the wiring, if I unwirenutted the hot going up to the meter and put it on the bar, I'm sure the meter wouldn't spin, but I wouldn't do that. I'm not sure if the neighbor is an electrician or not, all I know is that his camper is pulling a load from my site. I'm going to ask to have it rewired i think.

Old 07-23-06, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by JMS124
I'll try and make this as short as possible. My camper is on a permanent site at a campground and the electric is metered. I had to have my camper towed out for repairs to the room. I noticed that the power meter for my site was still turning even though my camper was UNPLUGGED. On my own, I opened the box and saw that it was fed with 10-3 uf wire. My circuit was on the red and the camper next door was on the black.(the other camper was fed with 10/2 from the 10/3) I disconnected the black and my meter stopped and so did the other one. Why does my meter spin when the other camper is hooked up? We both have separate meters. Is it because of the same neutrals? I asked the campground owner and got hell for taking the boxes apart. He said everything was ok. I know it's not. What can be wrong?
Thanks
Joe
Sounds like y'all are sharing a neutral. Probably not a good thing when you are metering. Throw in a not so great neutral connection and all of a sudden you are paying for your neighbors electricity. There is a good chance both meters are reading more than they should. Even with good connections there would be a problem.