wiring 60amp hot tub to 100 amp service

Old 07-19-06, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring 60amp hot tub to 100 amp service

Hello, I have a question. We just purchased a hot tub that requires a 60 amp breaker. Our house use to be an apartment with two seperate electric service. So we have two meters. One that goes to a 100 amp breaker box that runs the upstairs and one that runs another 100 amp breaker box that runs the first floor and basement. My question is would it be safe and ok to put a 60 amp breaker into this 100 amp box to run the hot tub being that its only 100 amp service. My husband says he sees no problem as long as we dont run the dryer or oven at the same time that we have the hot tub running full boar. We eventually want to upgrade to a 200amp service but dont want to wait that long for hot tub hook up...... Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-06, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot tubs have very specific code requirements. The requirements vary by location in the house (is the tub going to be installed inside or outside) and by municipality. You may very well have to do more than just provide electrical for the tub.

60 amps sounds like a lot for a hot tub.

I think you will have a problem if this is connected to the same panel as the dryer and the oven. Remember that hot tubs use electricity even when you aren't using them. The water remains heated and circulating.

I would recommend running this off the panel that does not supply the dryer and oven.

Please make sure that your installation is done properly and that it is inspected. Electricity can and does kill people.