Help needed with ceiling Fan wiring

Old 07-21-06, 09:05 AM
Help needed with ceiling Fan wiring

Hi,

Last night I tried to install a new ceiling fan in our bedroom. I removed the old fan but first noted how it was wired: 4 wires from ceiling box (black, white, pink, copper) plus a green wire connected to the box itself, 4 wires from the old fan: black, white, blue and a green one connected to the frame. The old connection was at follows: black-to-black, white-to-white, pink-to-blue, green-to-green.

Now, the new fan only had 3 wires: black, white, and green (ground) connected to the frame. So, I figured, it is a simpler model, so I just bypass pink one. I connected black-to-black, white-to-white, green-to-green (ground) -- the way it was described in the instructions. I left naked copper one hanging, and isolated pink wire.

To my surprise, the setup did not work! Anybody can help me? How can I troubleshoot this?

The new fan is made by Litex; it's a fan plus a light in one.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-06, 09:13 AM
How was your old fan/light controlled? Were there switches on the wall? Separate switches? Normal switches? A single switch? Did you use a remote control? Pull chains on the fan/light?

The green wires and the bare copper wire are ground wires. They should be connected together and to the metal ceiling box.

The white wire is a neutral. It must be connected.

The black and red wires from the ceiling are power wires for the fan and light. Depending on the setup in your house, one of these might be switched and the other always hot, or they both may be switched?

Your new unit apparently has a combined power feed for the unit. Does it run by remote control? Does it work via pull chains?

Finally, how did the instructions that came with the fan indicate to connect it?

Old 07-21-06, 09:23 AM
Thanks, racraft. The old fan came with the house. It did not have buil-in light, just the pull chain. I suspect one of the wall switches goes to the ceiling box (pink/red wire?), but since we did not use the fan often, I am not sure if it affects anything.

The new fan is indeed designed to be controlled by a remote control. Does it mean (in case the pink/red indeed goes to the wall switch) we would not be able to control it with anything but the remote control?

The instructions were very limited but simple: connect black-to-black, white-to-white, green-to-green, and that's it. Since I've done plenty of similar connections before, I thought it should be a piece of cake.

Old 07-21-06, 09:30 AM
You should already know what the wall switches are for.

Open the switch box and examine the wiring there. Report back what you find. Report on ALL the wires.

I suspect that you can simply connect the new fan to the red wire instead of the black wire.

Old 07-23-06, 07:49 AM
Ok, I disconnected the fan wires for now and did some more testing with multimeter. The voltage between black and white is straight 120V, so this one is always hot. As I expected, the pink/red wire is coming from the wall switch. When the switch is ON, the voltage between red and white is also 120V. However, when the switch is in OFF position, I am still getting 18V between red and white. Is it normal? What do I do next?

Last edited by v1rok; 07-23-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 06:03 PM
Do not use a digital multimeter to measure home electricity. A digital meter can only be used if you know how.

The 18 volts you are reading is phantom voltage, and can be ignored.

Use the black and white wire if you want the fan to always be powered (and you will use the remote), or use the red and white wire if you want the fan to be powered only when the switch is on.