ground on electronic light switch

Old 07-22-06, 11:54 PM
ground on electronic light switch

I am installing a new light switch with a radio receiver in it so it can be turned on/off remotely. The switch has a ground wire, but there is no ground wire in the junction box, and I don't see any screw hole where I could attach it with a screw to the box, which I know is grounded. Can the ground wire be attached with the same screw that attaches the switch? Thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-06, 06:11 AM
nap
Is this a metal box with a metal conduit system or possibly AC, MC, or BX cable running to it? How are you sure the box is grounded?

If it is a metal box, there usually is a hole that accepts a 10-32 screw. Sometimes folks attach the box using that hole (what a pain and lack of forsight). You cannot use the device attaching screw to use as a ground. You need to drill and tap a hole for a proper grounding screw.

Old 07-23-06, 07:32 AM
The box is metal and the conduit is metal, and there is zero resistance between the white wire and box when the fuse is removed. Sorry I don't know what AC, MC or BX is.
(most of my experience is with low voltage dc, mainly computer stuff)

I was afraid someone would tell me I needed to drill a hole and tap it. I guess I need to make another trip to the hardware store. Thanks again.

I'm new, what a great site.

Old 07-23-06, 09:01 AM
nap
Originally Posted by Gortek
The box is metal and the conduit is metal, and there is zero resistance between the white wire and box when the fuse is removed. Sorry I don't know what AC, MC or BX is.
(most of my experience is with low voltage dc, mainly computer stuff)

I was afraid someone would tell me I needed to drill a hole and tap it. I guess I need to make another trip to the hardware store. Thanks again.

I'm new, what a great site.
Do not attach the white wire to the ground. I don;t think you are from the post. Actually your post belies much more knowledge of your electrical sytem than you claim to have. Just wanted to make it clear to not do that.

AC armored cable
MC metal clad
BX ???I have no clue as to what it designates.

They are all cable systems that use a similar spiral wound metal wrap encircling the enclosed (factory installed) conductors

Old 07-23-06, 12:10 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't mean to appear too ignorant, I've read some basic articles on wiring and have a basic knowledge of electricity but I've never read the code, and from what I've read so far, it's not a good idea to not follow the code.

Old 07-23-06, 12:21 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Gortek
what I've read so far, it's not a good idea to not follow the code.

Well it makes my life easier. I hate it when an inspector tags one of my jobs, especially when he is right.

Old 07-23-06, 12:57 PM
They make green , metal clips that you could use instead of drilling and tapping a hole. They slide on over the edge of the box.

Old 07-23-06, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by nap
Well it makes my life easier. I hate it when an inspector tags one of my jobs, especially when he is right.
I hate when they Tag one of my jobs because the home owner wanted to add something (and did it themselfs). ERRRRRRRRRR!

Old 07-23-06, 01:06 PM
nap
Originally Posted by tribe_fan
They make green , metal clips that you could use instead of drilling and tapping a hole. They slide on over the edge of the box.
You are absolutely correct. This would work as well, it's just that most of the time when I have a box in the wall it has a plaster ring on it (which is behind the drywall) and you cannot install those clips. If the OP has a box that would allow the use of these, it would most definately work.
I actually have some of them on my service truck. They don;t get used very often, but they are there.

Old 07-23-06, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by tribe_fan
This can be a regional issue, becarefull. As with AFCI.. In Ma. REQUIRED, No exceptions. With a panel change, ALL breakers/ckts (less the wireing) MUST be upgraded.
Always best to ask. Do it once. It really is less exspensive.