outlet stopped working

Old 07-23-06, 01:58 PM
outlet stopped working

got an older home with the old style wiring(fabric coating.)
one of my outlets stopped working for some unknown reason.it is inj parallel with other outlets but for some reason this one has just stopped working. i have replaced the outlet itself but still nothing. any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-06, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by katt68
got an older home with the old style wiring(fabric coating.)
one of my outlets stopped working for some unknown reason.it is inj parallel with other outlets but for some reason this one has just stopped working. i have replaced the outlet itself but still nothing. any ideas?

How old is the house? Sounds like Knob-tube...

Old 07-29-06, 05:06 PM
Please describe the wire in more detail so we know what type it is.

Also, please tell us what YOU mean by parallel. Parallel and serial are confusing terms when discussing home electrical wiring, and many people get then wrong.

Old 07-29-06, 05:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How many wires are hooked up to the screws on the outlet? And is this the same number of wires in the outlet box?

Old 07-29-06, 09:29 PM
Outlet

I did an analysis on this parallel concept on pencil and paper and discovered that all outlets on a circuit running back to a breaker must be connected in parallel, otherwise you could not have 120volts on each outlet. Simple circuit diagrams show that to have 120volts on each branch requires a parallel connection. It is true that outlets can be connected in a string, but phyiscal connectivity must be parallel. Please don't tell me I am wrong, or I'll have to beat my head against the wall (just a pun).

Old 07-30-06, 05:07 AM
You are correct eeee, but many people confuse what you are discribing with series wiring.

The trade term I like the best is daisy chain. This is when a string of outlets or other devices are wired in parallel.

With series wiring, like the old christmas tree lights, if one device or lamp fails one of the devices in the line can work.