electrical box

Old 07-29-06, 06:00 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
electrical box

Hi,

I'm a new homeowner and having difficulty with my breaker box. Only portions of the house receive electricity. I switched wires into functioning breakers and the other parts of the house then received electricity. I thought that the breakers were bad, but when I tried replacing them, the problem continued. It seems that the problem might be the box itself, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any insight into this problem?

Old 07-29-06, 06:10 PM
R
You should not have switched wires. If you moved things incorrectly then you have created a fire hazard.

Is your problem that every other position does not have power? If so, the the problem is that one half of the incoming service is out. This could be a problem with the power company lines, or it could be at the meter, or it could be at your panel. You start with he power company.

Old 07-29-06, 07:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Start with the power company and end with an electrician to check what was changed.
As racraft said, you should NOT have switched wires around if you did not know what you were doing. This should have been an absolute last resort to get power to critical items until the problem was fixed.

Old 07-29-06, 08:40 PM
H
Thanks for the info. The wires were only moved for a few seconds and I swithced a 15 to a 15. The house was bought as is and is under some major renovations. It has no appliances and only a few lights and celing fans. I can't tell if every other position is out and as far as I can tell only one is working.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: