Low Voltage Lighting Install Questions

Old 07-24-06, 08:34 AM
Low Voltage Lighting Install Questions

I'm installing some Malibu products in the backyard and after searching for info on this board for tips I've still got some questions...

Power Pack manual says to plug directly into GFCI receptacle. What if it's a standard receptacle but the line is GFCI protected already? Logic tells me this is ok, true?

Manual also says no extension cords...what about a 1 ft dongle to give me a little bit more flexibility with the install?

Power Pack is rated "outdoor use only". I'd like to install it just inside a shed I have. Where do you draw the line between indoor and outdoor...the shed is not fully enclosed but I may put a door on it someday.

My lights will be installed about 10 ft from a pool. The Intermatic FAQ states "For maximum safety, the lights and cable are UL approved to be installed not less than ten feet from the edge of the pool. The power pack must be equipped with a ground shield. Your power pack has a ground shield if the model number ends with the letters TW. " Um...so do I need the ground shield if I'm 10 ft away, not really clear here.

The wires do not have to be buried correct?

Thanks for any help here!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-06, 11:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the receptacle is downstream from the GFCI, you are okay.

No extension cords. Can you chain another receptacle form the one in the shed? Me being me, I would make up a short heavy duty cord.

Power pack should be okay in the shed.

Does the model # on the power pack end with T W ? You can answer your own question.

While the wires do not have to be buried, exposed wires will end up being tripped over, cut or pulled, or a friendly squirrel will gnaw on them.

Old 07-24-06, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the tips. No the power pack doesn't have the ground shield, but I'm wondering if I really need it since I'm meeting the requirement of placing the lights outside of 10 ft from the pool. Their statement in the FAQs seems odd.

Originally Posted by goldstar
If the receptacle is downstream from the GFCI, you are okay.

No extension cords. Can you chain another receptacle form the one in the shed? Me being me, I would make up a short heavy duty cord.

Power pack should be okay in the shed.

Does the model # on the power pack end with T W ? You can answer your own question.

While the wires do not have to be buried, exposed wires will end up being tripped over, cut or pulled, or a friendly squirrel will gnaw on them.