Recessed Lighting Question...HELP!

Old 07-26-06, 04:22 PM
W. Quinn
Visiting Guest
Recessed Lighting Question...HELP!

I recently purchased 3 individual recessed lights to replace a single fixture. I only have ONE positive and negative wire coming into this location to hook up all 3 lights. Would it be okay to connect all 3 lights to this one set of wires?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-06, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by W. Quinn
I recently purchased 3 individual recessed lights to replace a single fixture. I only have ONE positive and negative wire coming into this location to hook up all 3 lights. Would it be okay to connect all 3 lights to this one set of wires?
You probably won't get an answer to your question because you have not provide any information.
What size wire do you have? probably #14.
What is the max wattage of the fixtures?
What size breaker is connected to the wire?
What else is on this circuit?
You need someone who knows something about electrical wiring to assist you.

Last edited by wareagle; 07-26-06 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-29-06, 05:37 PM
The terms positive and negative are incorrect and do not apply.

You have a hot wire, a neutral wire (often called a return) and a ground wire. To further complicate the picture, the neutral wire is grounded.

Whether or not you can replace a single fixture with three fixtures depends on the current draw of the original fixture, the current draw of the three new fixtures and the other items already on the circuit.

Please, read up and learn about electricity. You need to know much more than just what I have discussed above. The book Wiring Simplified is a good place to start.

Old 07-31-06, 02:16 PM
The proper wire terminology is called a Un-grounded wire(hot), grouded conductor(neutral), & a grounding conductor(bare/green EGC). You do need to provide more info, but if I were to assume you have a newer home. I would have to say you are probually dealing with a 14/2 Romex with EGC & if loaded correctly you can add the total wattage of old fixtures lamps(bulbs) to new cans rating and lamps you plan on using. If recessed cans total wattage is less or equal to old fixture I would have to say go ahead and add. But I do suggest you contact a local electrical contractor to assist in installation.[Link removed. Advertising not allowed.]

Last edited by racraft; 07-31-06 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 03:24 PM
W. Quinn
Visiting Guest
Thanks M8 electric. This is some info I can use. The old fixture was using a higher wattage between it's two bulbs than what I'm putting in with my 3 new lights. Thanks for some helpful direction instead of just ego. I am just a rookie ...I'll take your advice too and try not to burn my house down

Old 07-31-06, 04:05 PM
in addition....

given the new facts of your situation (ie total wattage) you will have to probably "daisy chain" the new cans due to manufacturer and code regulations on how many wires you can put into one can Jct box. For instnce the installation instructions in the back of the jct box (attaached to the light) will specify how many 14's or 12's (wire gauge sizes) you can put into that can jct box.
Now as far s "daisy chain" goes that just means you jump from one can into another into another instead of just making one jct in the cn for all wires concerned...best of luck....

C'mon guys you can be a little nicer and more helpful to the individuals asking these questions...they are not asking to bost your ego..they are asking cuz they don't know...you didn't know at one point either...

Old 07-31-06, 05:03 PM
W. Quinn
Visiting Guest
Okay, thanks again! I really do appreciate everyone's help and knowledge in getting me started on this project.

Old 08-01-06, 05:17 AM
I don't think its an ego thing, its more of a life saftey issue. How many times have you read that one disconnected all the wires in a junction box, replaced a light and tied all the wires back together - color coded? Then they post here asking why the breaker trips and nothing works. Electricity is dangerous! If one is going to work with electricity they should read as much as possible to get the basics so they don't kill themselves or burn the house down.

For the most part, everyone is very friendly on this site and go above and beyound to help others.

The search feature is an awsome tool.