House panel to dock panel UF wire type?

Old 07-27-06, 05:46 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
House panel to dock panel UF wire type?

Hey great site, and this is my first posting. Definitely visit here more often.

12k lb high profile lift and new docks were just completed. I'm wanting to run 240/100 amps down to a breaker box at one of the docks, then split off/step down accordingly for the lift (220 V) and other acessories such as 30 amp shorepower etc. on each dock. Only one dock has a lift. I want 240/100 amps capacity just so I'm only doing this once and could hook up whatever down the road, vice just having 50 amps.

What type of cable do I need to purchase to run down to the breaker box at the dock? I want to do UF cable (sans conduit) and it will run approximately 120 ft to the 100amp exterior breaker box from my 200amp service breaker panel in the house. Since I want 240V/100amps total, should I run two lengths of 6/3G UF and split the two runs (50 amps) between two separate breaker boxes at each dock (it was an out of the box suggestion to me)? Or run a single ??/2G UF cable with the full 240/100amps to one box which could be split to another box if desired?

I'll be renting a trencher/ditch-witch any day now to get the main items setup for the electrician to come in and hook it all up. I've gotten a couple of estimates and suggestions, but it only has added to my confusion without forking it up to have the whole package done professionally. The idea is to do the grunt work and save some money.

I've asked around locally and it's been hard to find a run of UF 240V/100 amp cable that will work with my house panel down to the dock panel especially when I explain what it's for. I get six different options thrown at me. I just want 240V/100 amps of juice available to work now, and have the capacity to expand other things like dock lighting etc. should I want it.

Old 07-27-06, 07:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I have never seen UF cable this big. You would be better off to let your electrician run individual conductors in a PVC conduit from your panel to your dock panel.

PS, 2 conductor cable plus ground would give you the option of straight 240 volt loads OR 120 volt load only, but not both. You would need 2 hots, a neutral and a ground to do both.

Old 07-31-06, 08:36 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
For 100A, you should be looking for Underground Service Entrance cable (USE), not Underground Feeder (UF). I recommend using a 2-2-2-4 aluminum mobile home feeder cable. This cable is good for 100A as a feeder and can be direct buried, plus it is widely available at a reasonable cost. Aluminum wire can be tricky to terminate properly, so that part should be left to your electrician. At the dock, I would install at least a 24 space panel; even if you think you will never need it -- someday you will.

Old 08-02-06, 09:49 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well what I ended up doing last Friday with the help of a friend and a trencher, was feeding two 6/3G UF-B 50amp cables down to my two docks (one cable to each dock). I already had purchased two separate 100amp 8 space/16 circuit outdoor panels (OD D type?) one for each dock. Figured I would just go with 50amp/240V to each dock vice a straight 100amp line rather then splitting off only because I couldn't be sure of the cable type I needed. Only had one window of opportunity for the friend to help and had to make a decision, so I could get it done for the electrician to come in and hook everything up at the house , and the two outdoor panels Monday.

ibpooks I didn't read your post until after we had completed it otherwise I would've asked about the alumium cable at the provider I purchased the other set from. The price I paid here locally per foot was $3.04 before taxes compared to the $3.66 per foot Home Depot wanted for the same thing. Overall still expensive though. All said and done the total was like $921 for 285 total feet.

I did notice though my outdoor panel boxes didn't come with a grounding bar. Just three screw connectors. Guess I have to go get one for each. The part that pizzes me off though is the electrician who told me he could be here this past Monday to complete it if I got the cable run has not showed up and I only get voicemail when I call his cell. Really ticks me when people commit then don't follow up.....

Old 08-02-06, 11:41 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Boater59
feeding two 6/3G UF-B 50amp cables down to my two docks (one cable to each dock).
You can actually use 60A breakers in the main panel to feed the 6/3 copper cables.

I already had purchased two separate 100amp 8 space/16 circuit outdoor panels (OD D type?) one for each dock.
Sounds good.

I did notice though my outdoor panel boxes didn't come with a grounding bar. Just three screw connectors. Guess I have to go get one for each.
That is correct. Panel kits never come with a seperate ground bar; should only be about $10 each though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: