Low-voltage boxes

Old 07-28-06, 01:32 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Low-voltage boxes

Is there any reason you have to use the special low-voltage boxes rather than standard boxes for things like Cat-5, Coax, & speaker wire?

I'm doing the wiring for my basement finishing project. In the areas where built-ins will go, I plan on using adjustable boxes so that the front of the box can be brought flush to the inside of the built-in after installation. There doesn't seem to be such a thing as an adjustable low-voltage box, though.

Old 07-28-06, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use standard (+/-)22cu/in plastic nail-on boxes for new construction low-voltage installations. I have found them to be the cheapest and easiest since I buy them buy the case anyway.
I see no reason to use dedicated low-voltage rings.

If you are partial to adjustable boxes I say use them.

Old 07-28-06, 01:55 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can do that without any problem. Typically what is done though is to use the proper depth plaster ring.

Here is an example

plaster ring

These are available in varying depths to accomodate different thickness of wall covering.

They are also available for steel or plastic boxes.

additioanlly the is a device called a low voltage ring that attaches to the wall, or in your case, the cupboard or whatever is in front of the wall. No box at all is used. Some of them have facilities to attach conduit to them. some not.

The benefit of using a ring over a box is that cables get pretty cramped in those little boxes. With a ring, you can allow a loose loop to hang in the wall.

Old 07-28-06, 03:58 PM
D
Thanks. I like the idea of the adjustable boxes simply because the built-ins probably won't happen right away (darn budget!). I can set them at drywall thickness initially and then adjust once we do the built-ins.

Old 07-28-06, 05:02 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
makes sense to me

Old 07-28-06, 05:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For me deep nail-ons are easier for the reasons I mentioned.
I do not splice my lo-vo stuff, everything is a home run, so the deep nail-ons are rarely crowded. If for some reason they are I just cut the back out of them.

Besides, those lo-vo nail-on rings are about $1.50. A 1g nail-on box is about $.50

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: