cable between stud and foundation walls

Old 07-28-06, 05:33 PM
cable between stud and foundation walls

Next question on my basement:

My stud walls are built about an inch out from the foundation walls. Is it legal to run my cable between the stud walls and the foundation? It would certainly be easier than having to drill holes in all the studs.

I'm guessing that if it's legal at all, I'd need to figure out a way to secure the cable every 48". I was thinking maybe I could use a cable tie and then secure the cable tie to the inside of the stud.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-06, 09:39 PM
could you try to ask that again ?
i don't seem to get it quite yet

Old 07-29-06, 02:34 AM
Caddy makes a very flexible bracket that you could use to support the cables. BTW, I say yes it is legal.

IMHO it would be easier can cheeper to just drill the holes. The key difference is owning the right drill.

Old 07-29-06, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by laraujo
could you try to ask that again ?
i don't seem to get it quite yet
OK, I'll try again. Hopefully, I'll describe it better this time.

I am finishing my basement. The perimeter walls are not just furred out from the foundation. Instead, they are full stud walls that have been built about an inch from the foundation walls. So, there is a one inch gap between the back of the stud wall and the front of the concrete foundation wall.

For horizontal runs of cable along these walls, I was thinking it might be easier to run the cable in that gap. It would eliminate having to take the time to drill a hole in each stud. It would also make things much easier when it came time for insulation as there would be fewer cables in the stud cavities to deal with.

I'm not sure if doing it this way, though, is going to be within code. If it's legal at all, I figure it would be the equivalent of running cable along the side of a joist in which case you have to fasten the cable every 48". So, since I obviously wouldn't be able to nail a staple to the back of the stud in this case, I'd have to find another way to fasten it. My thought was cable ties. I could wrap the cable tie around the cable and then nail the loose end of the tie to the inside of the stud.

In the end, jwhite may be right and it might just be easier to drill the holes. I still think running the cable in the gap, though, would make the insulation process MUCH easier.

Old 07-29-06, 10:46 AM
Try to follow this. you still need a strap within 18 inches of the box. So your wires come horizontal to near the box then you have to staple them before they go into the box. most likely on the side of the stud.

The boxes are required to be at most 12 foot apart, but I know yours will be closer. so you have less than 9 studs that you will go behind or through.

So buy braces to support the wire screw them into the stud then wrap them arround the wire.

IMHO it is faster to drill the holes.

Either way is legal.

Old 07-29-06, 11:01 AM
Thanks!

You're probably right that it will end up just being easier to drill the holes. Wouldn't be the first time I've made things harder on myself in the name of efficiency.