electric circuit breaker

Old 07-29-06, 06:11 PM
E
eric111
Visiting Guest
electric circuit breaker

Hello,

I am in the process of changing fixtures in my house. I went to my circuit box and was not able to find a switch for a certain fixture. I switched them all on and off and the light stayed on. Should I turn the main switch off and see what happens.

Any suggestions.

Please help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-06, 06:19 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Now is not the time to identify what breaker controls the light. The time to do so was showrkly after moving in. Yoiu should have completely identified what is on each and every breaker and what breaker controls each and every light, receptacle and electric device in your house.

Yes, try the main breaker. If the light does not go off then you have another breaker panel somewhere you need to find.

If the light does go off, then turn ALL the breakers off. Turn on the the main, and then one at a time turn each breakear on and then off. Try all the breakers, even when you find the one that controls the light. If the light works from more than one breaker then you more serious problems that you MUST find and fix.

Old 07-29-06, 06:30 PM
E
eric111
Visiting Guest
I will do that tomorrow. If the light does not go out when I switch my main circuit off where would there be another box. Currently my box is in the basement. Now, what if I turn the main switch off and it goes off. Then do I turn the main switch back on with all the breakers in the off position. What if the light comes on with all the breakers off. Could it be hooked up to the main switch in the house.

Thanks

Old 07-29-06, 09:17 PM
D
ddr
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Now, what if I turn the main switch off and it goes off.
This would mean that the light is being powered through a circuit controlled by that main breaker.

Then do I turn the main switch back on with all the breakers in the off position.
Yes, follow racraftís instructions (which Iím simply repeating below):

1. Shut all the individual breakers in the panel and then turn the main back on.

2. One by one turn the breakers on and off until you come to one that turns the light on. Make a note of this breaker, turn it back off, and continue trying the remaining breakers; none of them should turn the light on. If the light does come on when you try one of the other breakers, you have a serious problem as racraft said and, in my opinion, should contact an electrician.

What if the light comes on with all the breakers off. Could it be hooked up to the main switch in the house.
The main breaker for a panel is designed to power the busses that the individual breakers connect to; it should not act as a breaker for individual circuits. If this light comes on when you turn the main back on and all the breakers in that panel are off, again, you have a serious problem and should contact an electrician.

If the light does not go out when I switch my main circuit off where would there be another box. Currently my box is in the basement.
If the light is on when the main breaker is shut, try following the path of the service cables from that panel back to your electric meter. If the conduit leads back to a main disconnect switch before you get to the meter, itís more than likely the switch controls a second set of service cables that lead to another breaker panel. Follow that conduit to find the second panel and then repeat steps 1 & 2 above on the second panel.

If youíre not sure about any of this, post back before doing anything.

Let us know what you find.