installing wall switches

Old 08-01-06, 01:41 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
installing wall switches

hi
I just finished my basement ran wiring for recept with no problem . however my problem is the lights I am trying to add wall switches. every time I turn on the swicth the breaker trips. I ran wire from the swicth to the first( light 2lights in each room.)on the circuit it has 6 lights. only the one for the stairs is controlled by a swicth the others are pull string. any help would be appriciated. thanks

Old 08-01-06, 01:46 PM
R
You most likely connected the neutral to the switch. Neutral wires don't get connected to switches.

Old 08-02-06, 09:32 AM
V
miswired switch

Agreed with Bob. If you've switched a dead short with that first new switch, when you get it right you might consider a second new switch. I would guess that the original switch has seriously burned contacts after such treatment.

Old 08-02-06, 01:36 PM
D
will try new switch because when I took the white wire off light would not go off. will let you know if that works

Old 08-02-06, 02:02 PM
R
I suspect that you still don't have the wires correct on the switch.

The white wires get connected together with a wire nut. Then you put one black wire on each of the two switch terminals.

The ground wires get connected together and then pigtailed to the ground on the switch and to the bob, if it is metal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: