Installing Accent Light on the ceiling

Old 08-01-06, 04:48 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Installing Accent Light on the ceiling

Hi, I am planning to add an additional accent light on my kitchen. Currently, I only have one and would like to add at least 3 to 4 more lights. My dilemma is running the wires. I think cutting a round hole on the ceiling is not a problem bu running those wires to each of these hole is a puzzle to me. As much as possible, do not want to cut or break the walls just for me to see or run the wires. Can you advise me if there is an easy way to install additional lights on the ceiling, particularly on locating the holes to run the wires to. Thank you, I appreciate it.

Old 08-01-06, 05:04 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Lights

What is above this ceiling? Finished or unfinished?

Old 08-01-06, 05:06 PM
nap
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you are doing here. You bring up walls but then don;t really xpalin why they would be involved.

So, you want to instal some new lights, right?
Are they going to be on the same switch as the current lights?
Do you have an attic above the kitchen?
Basement below the kitchen?

Just trying to get some general info.

Kind of lost on that :

locating the holes to run the wires to
part as well.

explain your intent a bit and answer the questions above and we will give you all the help we can.

Old 08-01-06, 05:51 PM
N
Originally Posted by nap
I'm not exactly sure what you are doing here. You bring up walls but then don;t really xpalin why they would be involved.

So, you want to instal some new lights, right?
Are they going to be on the same switch as the current lights?
Do you have an attic above the kitchen?
Basement below the kitchen?

Just trying to get some general info.

Kind of lost on that :

part as well.

explain your intent a bit and answer the questions above and we will give you all the help we can.
I think hes asking if theres a simple way of locating any holes that may have been drilled for other wires in the ceiling,, short of busting the ceiling up

Old 08-01-06, 09:53 PM
D
Sorry guys, this is a brand new house but unfortunately they only installed one accent light. I want to add more at least 4-5 more using the same switch. This is a two story house and no attic above the kitchen. I guess my question is how will I run the wires after putting the holes? I am trying to avoid too much damage on the ceiling besides making holes. Is there kind of tools like a snake to run the wires through the holes? And, what is the best tool to cut the hole? Any tips is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 08-02-06, 04:32 AM
R
If the new lights are in line with the old lights, and if the joists run the same way, then you may be able to simply pass the wires from one light to the next. However, if the joists run perpendicular or you have to cross them then you have no choice but to make holes in the ceiling and patch them later on.

There are many devices designed to cut drywall. The cheapest method is to use a hacksaw blade in a handle. More expensive methods include various cutting devices. Check at the hardware stores.

Old 08-02-06, 10:57 AM
D
Thanks, I will try that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: